Monday, July 14, 2008

Such efficiency! Such minute detail!

Began my day calling Patient Relations at the Naval Hospital. Not exactly an auspicious start, especially when the Patient Relations fellow quizzed me on who my prior Patient Relations contact had been and then tried to suggest that I needed to go online to request assistance. Quickly smacked that idea down as politely but directly as possible.

Next call was to the Dental Clinic, only to discover that the Pediatric Dentist isn't coming until SEPTEMBER. I'd been told early August. Just what I hoped to do with a newborn...what a lark!

Shopped at Target during Charlie's OT. In honor of my dental visit, bought THREE boxes of sugared cereals.

Skipped Charlie's Speech because she was 10-minutes late, I had to leave 10-minutes early, and Charlie claimed "tummy-ache". Patty Kiki, the Sand Crab, and reluctantly, I myself, am suspecting that I am being played because as soon as I told the receptionist that we were going to bug-out because of his complaint and waddled (me)/ambled (him) to the parking lot and he laid eyes on that beautiful CR-V chariot to home, the little crabby-pants broke into a shrieking-with-glee bona-fide Irish jig. (Once I recovered from the shock of his sudden, uncharacteristic coordination, I was a bit annoyed).

Home, handed off to our sitter and headed to the Dentist's office. Suffered great poking and a smidgen of an embarrassing moment when the hygienist asked me if I'd had carrots for breakfast (answer: dinner, last night, the shame of it!) Dentist came in and gazed upon my swollen bleeding gums and said, see you in January when I can bill for x-rays and start filling those gums with Novacaine. Truthfully, only said the "see you in January" part but I could see the cha-ching in his eyes.

Von's for groceries. During the half-hour when I was without my planner, I received 2 Naval Hospital calls -- the OB clinic miraculously finding a July 21st appointment for me and the Dermatology clinic offering Jamie a July 21st appointment (when he's not even home yet!). When that appointment was declined for lack of patient, the clerk's next-best offer was mid-August soooooooooooooooo I had to play the Preggers Trump Card of "Then we'd better get disengaged from the Naval Hospital" and voila, a July 31st appointment was miraculously unearthed.

Home and turned into Crab Queen: Super Efficient Mother! I try not to don that cape too often or Patty Kiki might think I could do a better job at den leadership. :-)

Called Sister Hilda to inquire about Baptismal Preparation Class and scheduling LLGA's baptism. (Confession: I called on Monday because then I could leave a voicemail because Monday is her day off. A delay tactic, but allows me to get the entire message out before turning into defensive, guilty, Mass-missing, bad-example-to-my-blessings woman).

Of course, after that energy-sapping event, took a little loll with Charlie watching "Undercover Dora". With that as the alternative, returned to the wide adult world of competence and task-completion.

Made a host of other phone calls, too. Triwest case manager for ECHO with question. Charlie's Non-Public Agency regarding a missing statement. Handled an IEP issue for Jack. Some correspondence done. A bill paid. AND...

For my opus, called Maintenance with six (6) requests -- because I like to accumulate them:
1. light in bathroom
2. front screen door not closing
3. blinds in my BR broken (today, thank you, Charlie)
4. garage side door knob malfunctioning
5. hole in drywall (of course in Tim's room at about shin level from a corner kick or 3)
6. evidence of 'possum encroachment into the garage.

Even got to visit -- punctuated by numerous re-directions of Charlie's front-yard escapades of daring and danger -- with Patty Kiki.

Tomorrow will be Love & Candy with the School District over Charlie so, gentle readers, cherish this calm, organized, and even-keel post.

No comments: