Thursday, July 10, 2008

As Good As It Gets

Good day for the castle's inhabitants.

Charlie made it to Speech therapy only 5 minutes late.
I remembered forgotten items for my day at that point and was able to retrieve them during the 25-minutes of therapy he had left.
Jack would point out that I didn't get a ticket for speeding.

Took Charlie to school and used evasive counter-measures to exit without his noticing until I was nearly out of earshot. That is to say, I could just barely hear the piercing, gut-wrenching "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" echoing through the school's courtyard.
I kept walking, which Patty Kiki and every behaviorist is pleased to know.

Made it to the "big" special ed committee meeting 10-minutes early. Wore my big-girl panties the entire time, too.
Jack enjoyed the Pt. Loma Library children's library ship and their way-newer-than-PB-Library's-collection books. I did draw the line at letting him check-out a book, which I'm certain has immense literary value, titled "The Day My Butt Went Psycho" because his mother was meeting with a Harvard-doctorate-owning District employee and wanted to maintain an aura of elitism.

Made it to fetch Charlie at 11:30 on the dot. Tossed him into the car, endured a lengthy stay in the McD's drive-thru lane, drove to Del Mar, changed Charlie into his cutest surf shirt and sandals and marched him into his advocate's office only 4-minutes after noon.
Jack would point out that I didn't get a ticket for speeding this time either.

Charlie didn't wildly embarrass me. Jack entertained himself in the waiting room for about 90 minutes.

Home. The sitter arrived at 2-sharp, as requested. Well, 2:02 p.m. but that's pretty darn good for the castle.
Jack found his 2 missing library books.

Tim had a mild-mild-mild day at all data points and was pleasant the remainder of the day. Jack and I went to Costco where I obtained a "mybook" external drive (500 GB) per the Sand Crab's directive.
Jack and Jamie scored a new DS game and an interactive baseball quiz book for their flight.

Patty Kiki was fetching Jamie and I got the long straw to fetch Sam in La Jolla (way the HECK closer than Admiral Baker Park). Besides, fetching Sam entailed a walk on the beach and a half-hour of watching the ocean...tough stuff.
Jack would point out that not only did I not get a speeding ticket but also I did not drive into the wily, long-lasting sinkhole on Mt. Soledad.

Home to discover a brimming box of girly-girl presents from Arkansas. (Charlie, as I type, is "wah-wahing" in a too-loud voice and then giving me the box of Nuk pacifiers with a grin. Now he's wiping his eyes while smiling. Future thespian!)

Pleasant dinner hour and cooperative children abounded. It's rather like I fell into somebody else's castle. Children willingly taking out the trash. The French horn being practiced. Neighborhood children playing basketball with my offspring and no punches being thrown. No screaming in the bathtub. Minimal hitting during medicine. Where have I landed and who are these strangely-civilized natives?

Had a visit with Patty Kiki in which we had only 3 interruptions in a 30-minute-plus period. Remarkable.
Had a phone call with Patty Grace in which we had only 3 interruptions during a 15-minute call. Truly miraculous.

Best of all, I can report that tomorrow evening is slated to be Hair Color & a Heckle with the Patties. Who could resist the advert: "Don't be shy, give Patty Grace, the bathroom beautician, a try!" ???
I'm not shy...I'm bold and about to be WAY less GRAY!

The sole clouds were worries about Patty Shellie's surgery and, less important but able to incite spikes in a crab's BP, an appalling credit card statement. (That's right, Sand Crab, get online, review, and weep into your over-cooked oatmeal. This month will be better!)

2 comments:

chiggerrancher said...

Daughter,
You've just made this "rice paddy grunt proud" Give my best to the Lt. Col.

Arkie
Class of '65
MCRD
Parris Island

Anonymous said...

Herculean effort as always, Ms. Crab. Just think, when the J-Crabs are Normal-bound, life gets a little less hectic- for a while.

After close contact with Vidal Sassoon al-Baghdadi, he applauds Ms. Patty Grace for her bathroom magic whilst he is away.

Sand Crab