Saturday, July 26, 2008
Saturday, July 26: Countdown to Arrival of the J-Crabs & Grandma MK!
10:00 p.m. (Friday): Steam treatment of Croupy Charlie
2:20 a.m. (Saturday): Repeated steam treatment (aka "Iron Shower Lung")
5:36 a.m.: Awake to get a jump-start on the morning.
6:00 a.m.: Shower for Croup-boy.
7:35 a.m.: Depart for Naval Hospital for follow-up peds appointment. I'm so compliant it pains me.
7:53 a.m.: Check in at clinic. Lots of waiting with Tim and Charlie while corpsmen run amok.
8:15 a.m.: See doctor. Confirmation that C has a viral enemy with a particularly gnarly-looking throat (which the doctor wants me to see, too. Gee, thanks).
9:10 a.m.: Von's run with the T & C Show.
9:50 a.m.: Home, offload groceries, await sitter.
10:00 a.m.: "Where's ______ (sitter)?" questioning begins, courtesy of Tim.
10:35 a.m.: Completely weary of the above torturous questioning, call sitter with a "It's 10:36, you were supposed to be here at 10."
10:44 a.m.: Exhausted from the sobbing on the phone and the increasingly-panic-ridden Tim (while I'm trying to hear the sitter), hang up the phone. Spend next, oh, several hours recalibrating Tim for a day of no sitter. Patty Kiki quickly volunteered to come sit with him (hearing the hitting and shrieking) so that he wouldn't have to accompany me to the "scary airport".
Ed Note: While I have great empathy for our sitter having another 102-fever on a second consecutive Friday evening, I am pretty disappointed that she didn't call me when she realized she was febrile again so that I could plan my day and prepare Tim accordingly. The issue of 8-hours without the anticipated assistance is one thing, the issue of having explosive rage/panic/upsetment was TOTALLY preventable. (She of everyone has witnessed him fly off the handle with miniscule changes to his expectations -- contrary to popular media, for Tim it's not the routine that matters -- but rather what the adrenaline rush of surprise and change in routine that allows us to enjoy the Rhapsody on a Theme of Panganini nearly daily).
Somewhat amusing anecdote: Tim adores Patty Kiki (and her entire clan) and would likely move with them if offered the option. Alas, Charlie is highly-suspect of Patty Kiki's motives, tactics, and sense of humor. So, Tim -- in full panic mode -- is begging for "Mrs. ______" over and over throughout the day. Meanwhile, each and every Tim-utterance-on-subject brings Charlie flying through the house to establish his preferences "No Mrs. ______, No Mrs. ______! Mommeeeeeeee stay wif Chah-lee." It's an autism debate that no one can win. After about an hour and a half of this oh-so-creative banter, Charlie snaps into verbal mode (maybe a fever?) and says, "Mrs. _____ is mean. Trapped!" Of course, Patty Kiki and I giggled our fannies off later over this one. I was proud of the language and communicative intent; Patty Kiki, like the Crab Queen, wears the mantle of meanest-mom-in-the-hood with pride and style. Like either of us want to be popular with the diaper-wearing set?!
Lunch.
Cleaning.
Laundry.
Dishes.
Trash/recycling.
Paperwork.
Special Highlight: My advocate's bill came. Let's just say I owe the equivalent of another retainer for the IEP.
Very Special Highlight: The ambulance bill came from 6/27's run of Tim. Instructed him to sign in the patient box. He printed. The real highlight is that the James Joyce writing muse struck him and he elected to begin to write the sentence, "Can we go to 7/11 with Mrs. M---- today, Mommy?" across the bottom of the insurance billing paper.
3:15 p.m. Patty Kiki arrives to finalize Jack's camping gear with me. (And, I suspect, confirm that I did not insert any unapproved items and to ascertain that I'd indeed given the boy some money, chapstick, a waterproof camera, etc.)
3:30 p.m. Tim and I run to the CR-V (trying to be clandestine) to go to 7/11 for "a treat" (Tim) and "cash" (me, for Jack). That wily Charlie, never to be outsmarted, hollers bloody-murder as he sees the hardly-cat-burglar-esque brother and mother abandoning him. Patty Kiki intercepts him as he crashes into the front screen door, attempting pursuit. The last words I hear are Patty Kiki's "GO....FAST!"
3:40 p.m. Return to a quiet house. Slip Patty Kiki a lollipop to reinforce his quietness. The report: only 2 minutes of frenzied yelling before he turtled inside his t-shirt for a couple more minutes of reorientation. He was none the worse for wear and, in fact, verifiably not "trapped" (unless his failed egress counts as "Trapped!").
3:50 p.m. Phone rings: Eagle has landed. So Charlie and I load up to fetch the J-crabs and Grandma.
4:15 p.m. They are awaiting us, luggage in hand. It's a special reunion. A hyper-verbal reunion. A reunion chock full o' discussions about gum, airport food, behavior, etc. Truly a bit overwhelming to have 3 people who talk land in the midst of the Zone of Predictable and Limited Conversation.
Home. Showers. Feeding. Medicines. Much deliberation by Grandma about her preference for 9 a.m. Mass (vice 7:30 a.m. Mass). She appeared quite perplexed at my weary forfeit to "fine, we'll do 9 a.m. then." (See Sunday post.)
Highlight of Reunion: 1 hour of my life expended in the Pre-Camp Lecture: What Your Mother Packed and Where to Find It (subtitled: $20 for basketry only, $5 for emergeny, $12 for spending on junk -- come home with less than $5 and find out how wicked half your DNA-contribution can be, come home without the $20 AND without a bee-you-tea-full basket project completed and again, find out how wicked the Crab Queen can be -- but oh, yeah, I missed you).
Reunion Honorable Mentionables: Grandma's conviction that the Queen will have precipitous labor and have LLGA in our front yard. Grandma's worry that no neighbor will be around to drive me to the hospital and that the Queen will have to be transported in an ambulance. (To which I asked, "wouldn't a taxi do?") Grandma's stern dictate that the Queen is frittering around and ought to have a proper hospital bag packed ALREADY. Grandma's decided opinion that we (meaning the Queen) doesn't have enough dependable/available childcare providers.
Be it known that the Crab Queen is, officially, a slacker.
2:20 a.m. (Saturday): Repeated steam treatment (aka "Iron Shower Lung")
5:36 a.m.: Awake to get a jump-start on the morning.
6:00 a.m.: Shower for Croup-boy.
7:35 a.m.: Depart for Naval Hospital for follow-up peds appointment. I'm so compliant it pains me.
7:53 a.m.: Check in at clinic. Lots of waiting with Tim and Charlie while corpsmen run amok.
8:15 a.m.: See doctor. Confirmation that C has a viral enemy with a particularly gnarly-looking throat (which the doctor wants me to see, too. Gee, thanks).
9:10 a.m.: Von's run with the T & C Show.
9:50 a.m.: Home, offload groceries, await sitter.
10:00 a.m.: "Where's ______ (sitter)?" questioning begins, courtesy of Tim.
10:35 a.m.: Completely weary of the above torturous questioning, call sitter with a "It's 10:36, you were supposed to be here at 10."
10:44 a.m.: Exhausted from the sobbing on the phone and the increasingly-panic-ridden Tim (while I'm trying to hear the sitter), hang up the phone. Spend next, oh, several hours recalibrating Tim for a day of no sitter. Patty Kiki quickly volunteered to come sit with him (hearing the hitting and shrieking) so that he wouldn't have to accompany me to the "scary airport".
Ed Note: While I have great empathy for our sitter having another 102-fever on a second consecutive Friday evening, I am pretty disappointed that she didn't call me when she realized she was febrile again so that I could plan my day and prepare Tim accordingly. The issue of 8-hours without the anticipated assistance is one thing, the issue of having explosive rage/panic/upsetment was TOTALLY preventable. (She of everyone has witnessed him fly off the handle with miniscule changes to his expectations -- contrary to popular media, for Tim it's not the routine that matters -- but rather what the adrenaline rush of surprise and change in routine that allows us to enjoy the Rhapsody on a Theme of Panganini nearly daily).
Somewhat amusing anecdote: Tim adores Patty Kiki (and her entire clan) and would likely move with them if offered the option. Alas, Charlie is highly-suspect of Patty Kiki's motives, tactics, and sense of humor. So, Tim -- in full panic mode -- is begging for "Mrs. ______" over and over throughout the day. Meanwhile, each and every Tim-utterance-on-subject brings Charlie flying through the house to establish his preferences "No Mrs. ______, No Mrs. ______! Mommeeeeeeee stay wif Chah-lee." It's an autism debate that no one can win. After about an hour and a half of this oh-so-creative banter, Charlie snaps into verbal mode (maybe a fever?) and says, "Mrs. _____ is mean. Trapped!" Of course, Patty Kiki and I giggled our fannies off later over this one. I was proud of the language and communicative intent; Patty Kiki, like the Crab Queen, wears the mantle of meanest-mom-in-the-hood with pride and style. Like either of us want to be popular with the diaper-wearing set?!
Lunch.
Cleaning.
Laundry.
Dishes.
Trash/recycling.
Paperwork.
Special Highlight: My advocate's bill came. Let's just say I owe the equivalent of another retainer for the IEP.
Very Special Highlight: The ambulance bill came from 6/27's run of Tim. Instructed him to sign in the patient box. He printed. The real highlight is that the James Joyce writing muse struck him and he elected to begin to write the sentence, "Can we go to 7/11 with Mrs. M---- today, Mommy?" across the bottom of the insurance billing paper.
3:15 p.m. Patty Kiki arrives to finalize Jack's camping gear with me. (And, I suspect, confirm that I did not insert any unapproved items and to ascertain that I'd indeed given the boy some money, chapstick, a waterproof camera, etc.)
3:30 p.m. Tim and I run to the CR-V (trying to be clandestine) to go to 7/11 for "a treat" (Tim) and "cash" (me, for Jack). That wily Charlie, never to be outsmarted, hollers bloody-murder as he sees the hardly-cat-burglar-esque brother and mother abandoning him. Patty Kiki intercepts him as he crashes into the front screen door, attempting pursuit. The last words I hear are Patty Kiki's "GO....FAST!"
3:40 p.m. Return to a quiet house. Slip Patty Kiki a lollipop to reinforce his quietness. The report: only 2 minutes of frenzied yelling before he turtled inside his t-shirt for a couple more minutes of reorientation. He was none the worse for wear and, in fact, verifiably not "trapped" (unless his failed egress counts as "Trapped!").
3:50 p.m. Phone rings: Eagle has landed. So Charlie and I load up to fetch the J-crabs and Grandma.
4:15 p.m. They are awaiting us, luggage in hand. It's a special reunion. A hyper-verbal reunion. A reunion chock full o' discussions about gum, airport food, behavior, etc. Truly a bit overwhelming to have 3 people who talk land in the midst of the Zone of Predictable and Limited Conversation.
Home. Showers. Feeding. Medicines. Much deliberation by Grandma about her preference for 9 a.m. Mass (vice 7:30 a.m. Mass). She appeared quite perplexed at my weary forfeit to "fine, we'll do 9 a.m. then." (See Sunday post.)
Highlight of Reunion: 1 hour of my life expended in the Pre-Camp Lecture: What Your Mother Packed and Where to Find It (subtitled: $20 for basketry only, $5 for emergeny, $12 for spending on junk -- come home with less than $5 and find out how wicked half your DNA-contribution can be, come home without the $20 AND without a bee-you-tea-full basket project completed and again, find out how wicked the Crab Queen can be -- but oh, yeah, I missed you).
Reunion Honorable Mentionables: Grandma's conviction that the Queen will have precipitous labor and have LLGA in our front yard. Grandma's worry that no neighbor will be around to drive me to the hospital and that the Queen will have to be transported in an ambulance. (To which I asked, "wouldn't a taxi do?") Grandma's stern dictate that the Queen is frittering around and ought to have a proper hospital bag packed ALREADY. Grandma's decided opinion that we (meaning the Queen) doesn't have enough dependable/available childcare providers.
Be it known that the Crab Queen is, officially, a slacker.

1 comment:
Hip Hip HOORAY! I am SO happy and relieved!
When the Crab Queen's mum has successfully caused an quantity of adequate carers to emerge from the proverbial woodwork (whichever quantity she fancies) -- you know an adequate carer: one who will never breathe illness on a crablet's head (or in the airspace of the Queen), who will be reasonably on time, finding the ability to stay through the entire shift, and lives to serve happily for an eternity in the castle for not much more than minimum wage (and a headache), please send the miracle-worker to me. (I'm closer!)
Now that the bags of J-Crab, Sr. are packed, crack to packing yours, Crabbie!
Post a Comment