Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Forgot to mention yesterday...

Loving River of Peace (aka, Best Mom Ever) as part of her Love & Candy Day with Jamie went to the Post Office, battled lines, customs forms, and many-many slow-moving folks to mail a CARE PACKAGE full of Father's Day joy to the Sand Crab.

By slow-moving folks, know that I mean those people who haggle about whether to get 1 or 2 sheets of stamps and then, having opted for 1 -- no, 2 -- well, make it 1 after all because I still have to go fill up that gas tank and you all just know the price at the pump is a real stretch right now, hmmmm...should I go with the liberty bell or the botanical. Well, how's long do you think they'll have this very botanical available? Maybe better get 2 so I can save a few of these...they shore are pretty. Are you sure you don't have the 2006 Elvis ones back there somewheres?

Meanwhile, I am shifting from foot to foot and giving Jamie sidelong glances as he crinkles up that little Jamie chin knowingly. Because he knows if he just hangs in there long enough, with a little help from Mr. Indecisive, Love & Candy Mom may become

Totally Inappropriate, Impatient Post Office Patron Mom (who has no choice but to stand in the stupid line because of course my husband in the combat zone needs to have pristinely cleared inbound mail...because some wife might send something DANGEROUS...more hazardous than mortars and other things that go boom by day and night) and is primed to go bombastic.

---------------------------------------------------

Lesson Learned 1: Pacific Beach is full of ding-bats. Better choice to go to Linda Vista or Clairemont for care packages in the future.

Lesson Learned 2: Humorless Postal employee (sorry, Grandpa!) does not react positively to eye-rolling during the quiz bowl-a-thon about flammable, combustible, fragile, etc. qualities of package contents. (Mind you, I'd litanized in grand detail so found the process rather time-consuming and I was trying to help those behind me in line rally by shaving time off the per-customer service minutes). You'd think I was at the airport dealing with the TSA!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very funny post. If you ask Grandpa Dan, he will be quick to point out the age old postal conflict between the "clerks" and the "carriers."

I can also visualize the dingbat conversation now. It just enforces my conspiracy theory that teh City of San Diego hires character actors to reside in PB to give it so much CHARM and eccentricity. These people's damn jobs is to make it inconvenient for us working stiffs.

Sand Crab wuz here

chiggerrancher said...

"Fact of Life #1 in the ol' Post Office" - the High Muckity Muck's Bonus Check is more important than service.

Us working stiffs in the post office are embarrassed by the lack of clerks in the lobby.

All complaints should be directed to the nearest high muckity muck at the district level. That'the equivalent of a one star admiral.