Monday, June 23, 2008

V is for Victory and F is for French horn!

In today's advance toward MOTY selection...

Jack's French horn lessons are secured for Tuesday evenings with Barry Toombs, who is Executive Director of the Westwind Brass group and also performs with the San Diego Chamber Orchestra, Starlight Musical Theatre, San Diego Symphony, San Diego Opera Orchestra, Summerfest, and SONOR, the contemporary chamber ensemble at the University of California San Diego.

As a fringe benefit, Mr. Toombs was active-duty in the Navy Band for years and currently serves as a reservist. (This factoid allowed us to snag a convenient Tuesday because, yes, I played the Deployment Card).

As yet another auspicious sign, he has 3 boys in the same range as the J-Crabs.

Sealing the deal, he sounds unafraid of Jack's relative inexperience with the horn. We will take Jack's blaring elephant on the road and grace someone else's home with the, er, music.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I remember the many trips to my own cello lessons my sweet sister. I can not wait for you to hear the expectation is to practice this sweet French Horn everyday for 30 minutes! My own wretched practice was bad enough, come to think, I should apologize to mom and dad. Just remember, it builds character.