Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Looking ahead: The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher Leads to Crab Queen's Folly

Tomorrow the Sand Castle hosts book group. Not only does this imply that the Sand Castle will have a harried and hurried make-over but also this suggests that the Crab Queen will have adults in the house. Aye, that would mean adults that talk about adult things (and People magazine) and eat adult food and drink adult drink. Marvelous!


Book Club Menu:

Orange & Bergamot Green Tea (iced).
Pinot Grigio (not-for-me).
Mixed ("fancy") nuts.
Milk Chocolate Almond Lacey Cookies.
Caramel Waffle Cookies.
Artichoke & Spinach Dip (hot).
Feta & Carmelized Onion Tarts (hot).
Cheeses -- Double Gloucester and English Cheddar w/ Carmelized Onion.
Water Crackers and Multigrain Savory Thins.
"Rustic rolls" (purportedly an artisan bread).
Baked garlic.

*** I'm including this tantalizing temptation of Trader Joe's treats in the unlikely happenstance that Patty Grace -- and she knows who she is -- deliberates and decidedly ditches her Writing Group in order to nosh, eye-roll, and colour my gray and white(!) hair. ***

Book review:

Methinks I am just not a fan of Things Victorian. Alas, this title was selected because I brought it to the group's attention (and Patty Grace seconded it with a positive reaction to an interview on NPR with the author). It is the story of a highly-publicized crime in a thought-to-be-upstanding middle-class household. It coincided with England's fascination with detectives and featured the clash of Victorian privacy with a media fervor.

Just didn't grab me...maybe it was the child-in-peril, maybe it was the not-very-likeable characters (excepting the deceased, who I found quite endearing), maybe it was the period, or maybe it was the not-very-scintillating material. Certainly, the writer is capable and the topic thoroughly researched.

I should have used my book-club capital to sneak in Freakonomics or Stumbling on Happiness or even NewJack. Drat!!

Worse, I violated my own rule: You should never be caught recommending a book to a group that you haven't already read yourownself. Double-drat!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Your castle makeover is in my thoughts and prayers. Hee hee hee, at the the dressers are organized in the J-crabs room.

The Nosh sounds like a lovely menu, and I'm sure the People magazine discussion will be great.