Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 59 (and another tidbit from Day 58) & Botanical Note for Dan

Per Cub Reporter Jamie

So, forgot to mention that Jack had to be corrected at camp yesterday. Apparently, he overheard a camper calling a counselor a name he understood to be "Amoeba". Sooo, being Day 1 of a new week of camp and not having prior knowledge of the counselor in question, Jack called her "Amoeba", too. *** Good time to mention that Jack has diagnosed auditory processing differences so I do believe Jack. ***

The problem, naturally, is that Jack darn-skippy knows what an amoeba is and, hence, every time he said "Amoeba" he snickered. The jury (well Jamie) is out on whether it was the smirking or the wrong name usage that got Jack busted.

Needless to say, "Amoeba's" name is NOT Amoeba -- it's Anita. And Anita, I'm just guessing here, is not putting Jack in for Camper of the Week! (In fact, if he has a mysterious rock-climbing accident, Jamie and I are going to ask where Amoeba was and she better not have been at the other end of Jack's climbing rope!)

---------------------------------------------

Customer Service Wins and Woes...

Jeers to Motorola. Awful-awful customer service, clearly via Trans-Oceanic phone connection. Cannot stress how much of a Crab Queen-hour sinkhole it is to exchange a defective cell phone car charger manufactured by Motorola. I'm at almost 5-hours and about to wave the white flag (which for those of you who know my cheapskatedness and disinclination to give in to corporate hooey is saying Something).

Cheers to Nordstrom. (Not the "Rack", the real deal). Lingerie department that carries even H-is-for-Humongous sizes in nursing undergarments. (At this sentence, my father-in-law will probably rethink his loyal following of my blog). $214 of the Sand Crab's Hazardous Duty Pay was spent so that my fellow Americans could experience a reduction in visual hazard when I'm in their vicinities.

Jeers to Sprint. Another customer service/collections nightmare. I paid a bill via our banking account's "Bill Pay". Our bank has records showing that it sent a check to the correct address with the correct account number reference. Yet, Sprint has no idea where the money is and keeps sending nasty-grams. As an added flourish, the amount due varies between 26.24, 26.16, and 26.54 depending on whether you are looking at a statement, online, or listening to the phone menu -- inspiring ZERO confidence. And this is the joy one experiences when converting service away from Sprint to an alternate carrier.

Cheers & Jeers to Trader Joe's. Jeers for no longer carrying Ben's Favorite Banana Chips (or at least for not knowing when they're coming back or why they're "unavailable"). Cheers for finding the tasty feta & carmelized onion tarts for my book group tomorrow. (I'm hosting).

Cheers & Jeers to Costco Optical. Cheers for repeatedly fixing Charlie's eyeglass pads, which he peels n' eats for fun and sport. Jeers for 1. the huge-ass wait and 2. refusing to provide me a couple spare nose pads since I'm there -- at minimum -- once every 2 weeks for replacements. Cheers, I think, for at least telling me that I can buy them myself ... correct that, JEERS are in order--> from Wal-Mart.

----------------------------------------------------

Today's MOTY nomination bullet-points:Took the J-Crabs to the Library (or as they refer to it, to the "PUB-LIC Library". Exhibited great patience while they both whined about not being able to find the precise book that their little ISBN-number-conjuring minds devised. Exhibited great patience with the "self-checkout" system. Exhibited great patience with the unfriendly clerk, who was forced to assist us in checking out 1 of 6 items.

Third night in a row of home-cooked food. Gasp! With side dish and vegetables cut by my very inexpert hand. Applause!!

2 mornings in a row of departing the castle at 7 a.m. to make the camp drop before the various other a.m. activities commence (e.g., therapy, school bus pick-up, etc.) with only minimal hollering.

----------------------------------------

To make up for my Nordstrom purchase discussion...I had mentioned to Sand Crab's pa that I just love "kangaroo paws" that Patty Kiki has strategically placed in our front garden. We have burgundy and a marigold-color ones. They seem quite hardy, which Grandpa Crab agreed was requisite for both the soil, clime, and (anti)Gardener-in-Residence. Per the Australian National Botanical Gardens website:

The colour and form of kangaroo paws make them one of the most rewarding Australian native plants for the home garden. Kangaroo paws are also very good cut flowers. They are exported to many parts of the globe and are grown commercially in the USA, Israel and Japan.

Kangaroo paws belong to the genus Anigozanthos, which has 11 species. The closely related Black Kangaroo Paw is called Macropidia fulginosa.



1 comment:

Erin said...

I already vote for my own mom for MOTY, but baby- you gotta be gaining some ground! Keep it up, sounds like a well oiled machine.