Pat Matt, who appears in this blog as an intellectually-worthy adversary, challenged me in front of the IEP team yesterday on the qualifications of one of Charlie's Non-Public Agency behavior support persons. Turned out that I was provided bad gouge. When he called me today (re: yesterday's tantrum-by-phone), I opened the conversation with a candid, "You were right, I was wrong." (Mind you, I did politely say that I wished he'd chosen to share with me in a less-public venue).
Rally: Look for something hopeful.
Fortunately, Charlie's private therapists (SLP, OT, and PT) did a grand trifecta of recounting some really positive steps Charlie's made of late. Each did a "pah" over the virtual avalanche of "less-than-1st-percentiles".
Here's a little interlude, sans the singing, from Charlie's beloved "Signing Time" by Rachel de Azevedo Coleman and, no, I'm not pasting in the entire song because then my blog-readers would be blog-sobbers:
Sometimes I see you stuck
For such a long time
A daily nothing new
Pretend I don’t mind
With lists of things you’ll never do
Until somehow you do
And you do — you do — you shine
The days and months and years,
they run together
Is it just one day? Or is this forever?
You’ve taught me in your lifetime
More than I’d learned in mine
And you do, you do, you shine
Rally: Listen to your sister.
Sweet Aunt Patty Cake recalibrated my early-a.m. inclination to flamespray the planet and/or be a kleenex-user with a brilliant recommendation to indulge in a sequel to my winter fave book, The Spellman Files (by Lisa Lutz). It's called "The Curse of the Spellmans" and just anticipating the read elevated the cloudy mood.

Rally: Open the door with a smile.
So, despite yesterday's tendency to the melodrama (wrt Charlie's District services in our home), I not only opened the door, but I made a big effort to be a bona fide grown-up, including exchanging pleasantries, engaging in appropriate conversation and being careful to say nothing negative aloud during the session. Feel like I deserve a Certificate of Accomplishment!
Or perhaps a crab cake???

And, of course, one Backslide: The Friday evening sitter is sick with the flu. Let's hope for improvement in her condition by Monday!

No comments:
Post a Comment