Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Give this Day -- and this Mother -- an "F"

Once in a while it becomes especially evident that "something's gotta give"...yesterday (Monday) was just such a day.

By 7 a.m., I had concluded that Jack could not attend school because he had a doctor's appointment scheduled for 3 p.m. Just plain unable to figure out a time that I could drive to University City (Golden Triangle locale in S.D.) among my other commitments to retrieve him AND make the appointment on time.

By 7:05 a.m., Jack was already irritating me to no end and I was ruing the aforementioned (POOR) decision). A little too much celebrating the idea of Playing Hooky and a lot too much yapping.

Around 8:04 a.m., Jack, Charlie and I arrived at Charlie's OT appointment (which was slated for 8 a.m.). Charlie and I waited 7 minutes for the OT to take him, leaving me about 35 minutes to drive from Kearny Mesa to University City in rush-hour traffic and back.

By 8:31 a.m., I was in the middle school office to turn in one (1) pristine C.S. Lewis Literary magazine for 15-extra-credit points that I'd darn well earned!!! and
four (4) huge textbooks. Naturally, the secretary wanted me to take them to the IMC but she didn't know my time constraints and the evil traffic I still had to battle. I pointed at my tummy and announced, "I got them this far...what happens next is up to you people." Yes, I did. She then tried to suggest that my son was bad n' wrong n' lazy n' disorganized if he didn't turn them in himself. I countered that he weighed less than these books and his backpack and that I would be a bad mother if I'd allowed him to tote them hisownself. Not knowing how to respond to a mom using the "I'd be a bad mother if" card, she looked taken aback and I took that as an invitation to say "thank you, ma'am" and beat a hasty retreat.

At 8:47 a.m., Jack and I were back at OT. I'm leaving out a plethora of expletives that help me navigate around stupid and slow drivers. The transfer of Charlie from one therapist to another (IN THE VERY SAME OFFICE, YET REQUIRING A MOTHER'S TOUCH) occurred soonafter.

Sent Charlie with the Speech Therapist after he pulled the "Hey, wet's hide! Hey, wet's hide! Go to potty!" ploy in which he requests potty to avoid the next assignment. (Punish me, please, by successful toileting?)

Jack and I dash to Target Boutique for very boring t.p., diapers, shampoo, dryer sheets. Of course, Jack runs the cart hither and yon with a running dialogue about the virtues of moms who buy Gatorade for their children. Like herding a very verbal, narrating cat.

Zip back to Speech, grab Charlie and race home for his next therapy. Drama, including another rendition of "Get out of bis house...get out of bis house." Very hard to take him seriously with this kind of articulation error.

Spend the next hour berating Jack for his inability to follow simple 2-step directions. (For any moms/dads of wee folk, this is a 3-y-o skill..."go here and do this"). Jack is almost 12. He finishes his report on Nero. Finally, the Target purchases are unloaded/put away, Jack's Giants bb uniform is donned, and Nero is printed out.

Meanwhile, I contact Sitter A for the evening (to arrive at 4 p.m.) to see whether she might be able to arrive at 3:30 and am told that she's still sick and not coming at all. First thought: Crap! Second thought: When was she planning to cancel? (As it was almost 1 p.m. already). Third thought: Let's call Sitter B and at least see if I can extend her on the back-end.

Sooo, I contact Sitter B and learn that she's "pretty sure" she'll be late (supposed to arrive at 5 p.m.) because of the traffic associated with the US Open Golf tournament and not keen on staying after 7 p.m. (even though she has to stay at least 2-hours per her agency agreement) since she has finals this week. Feeling a bit like this whole depending on 19, 20, and 21 year-olds is not all that and a bag of chips.

Type Jamie a very-detailed set of instructions for conduct becoming to a boy left to get himself ready for baseball after school and put it on a magnet on the metal backdoor, facing outward approximately 3-1/2 feet from the ground -- adjudging it to be eye-level to the boy. Lots of Thou Shalt Nots. Actually, because it was truly a genius piece of task analysis, here it is:

Dear Jamie (ed. note: feeble attempt at affection as the rest is pretty dictatorial),

1. Eat a small snack (yogurt, a cheese stick, or a banana).
2. Put away your folded clothes that are on the couch.
3. Bring up the recycling bins if they are empty.
4. Put on your uniform, including cup, undershirt, uniform jersey, pants, socks, cleats, ballcap.
5. Get a sweatshirt and put into your ball-bag along with glove, bat.
6. Capt. [Patty Kiki's husband] will be here by 3:45 p.m. to get you and meet Tim's bus and drive to the field. Be ready to go!!!
* YOU MAY NOT PLAY ON MY COMPUTER.
* BEFORE 3:30 PM, YOU MAY NOT BE IN THE FRONT YARD.
* YOU MAY, once you have items 1 through 5 done, WATCH ESPN or READ until 3:30 p.m.
* At 3:30 p.m., you may shoot baskets. If the bus comes early, tell the driver that the neighbor is on his way and please wait or ask him/her to call my cell. (ed. note "...Rather than act clueless and have the driver leave with Tim on the bus.")

Here was Jamie's reply:

"Dear Mom,
I read a book that I got from Auction I did not play computer.
(smiley face) James"

At 1:05 p.m., Jack, Charlie and I depart the premises. Destination: Charlie's Preschool Language Group. Drop him off. Drive thru for lunch. Realize that I don't have the parking placard for "XO" parking at the naval hospital. Drive back home at $4.35/gallon. Drive back in time to grab Charlie at 1:55 p.m. Drive to St. Mark's. Drop Charlie at 2:15 p.m. and drive to the Hospital for the much-anticipated doctor appointment.
Marvel at Jack's poor eye contact. Accept my scolding for not being a better mother (with regard to forcing my son to take medicine each/every day). Leave the hospital at 3:41 p.m.

Then play RACE THE BUS HOME! Realize midway along the drive home that I'd neglected to contact Tim's school to prepare him for a change of bus meeting person and fearing that Captain __ signed up to defend our country but not necessarily deal with a Tim tantrum, I zip home in time to meet the bus going down our street. I pull up, breathless and semi-triumphant to be met with Tim just-getting-going. Trade the Captain one Jack for one Tim (so not a good trade for me), get Tim a snack, and pack him back into the vehicle to go fetch Charlie.

After repetitive clock-watching whereupon we establish each minute of recorded time between home and St. Mark's as well as chart the coming future in its minutiae, we retrieve Charlie (early, because the time-announcing is even more boring to live than read about) and set off for Mickey-D's.

Then home again to feed the 2 boys and await Sitter B, who *JOY* arrives pretty close to on time. Alas, Joy didn't stay long. Between Tim's demands and Charlie's spastic running-about, I thought I'd try to mix up Tim's medicine and get that out of the way before leaving for the Jack vs. Jamie baseball game (already underway) when SCHWACK, the sound of the undeniable flesh-on-brick followed immediately by Charlie's wail. I drop the medicated pudding and run to the livingroom, where Charlie's mouth, chin and hands are bloody.

Fast-forward 47 minutes to when I finally have the bleeding to a minimal ooze, if we skip the high-drama frustration tears of a mom that's teetered on the precipice of being a bad-mom all day and who is now missing not just an inning or two of but a full half-game or more AND has a fat-lipped, gashed-gum child AND a pretty horrified-looking babysitter.

6:07 p.m. I arrive at the ballfield in time to see Jack advance (Base-on-Balls) to first, where Jamie is playing. Almost felt like God may have had some mercy on my sorry soul. Since I'm persona non grata for both teams (since I root for the opposing team, too), I go sit at a picnic table near the bleachers alone.

Nothing exceptional from either child last night. Jamie was solid defensively but 1/3 batting. Jack was having a rough time, having been called a name before the game by a couple of teammates and unable to let it go. Saw him hit into a double-play as his final act of the season, as his team lost by one run to Jamie's.

Pack the kids up, drive home again, and relieve the sitter by 7:26 p.m.
Another day in the books. One day fewer before Mr. Provider becomes Mr. Co-Chauffeur again.

No comments: