Received an e-mail that the psychologist who assessed Charlie saw the presumptive proposed placement and, although still recommending 25 hours/week of home program, thought it was "better than St. Mark's". Very, very unhelpful in what feels very much like a warm-up to Litigation, Part Deux.
This opinion speaks volumes:
I liked the class. EVERY student there was higher in effective functioning than Charlie: most, considerably. If Charlie were to look like the majority of the students there by the end of Kindergarten next year, I would be pleased.
First, every student at St. Mark's is higher in "effective functioning" (defined, I suppose, to mean that Charlie can have an average IQ but appears significantly cognitively impaired because of his myriad other challenges), too. Most, considerably.
Second, every general education student in the District will be higher in "effective functioning". That wouldn't mean full-time inclusion is appropriate at this time either.
Third, the notion that Charlie will naturally "look like the majority of students" after a year in any classroom would appear to discount that
a. the good PhD has no idea what level of functioning the kids in the classroom exhibited upon entry;
b. half of the children have been there TWO years -- not one -- and are exiting as inbound-2nd-graders (not end-of-the-year kindergardeners); and
c. none of the kids are purported -- even by Pat Matt, who LOVES this placement -- to have entered with anything near Charlie's deficits.
Fourth, the idea that 25 hr/wk in-home ABA services is interchangeable with 30 hr/wk at-school, group instruction is patently flawed.
Fifth, the law requires that I be a member of any group that determines placement for my child. Insomuch as the decision was made by one person (Pat Matt) and then signed off by someone other-than-the-parent, the opinion is irrelevant.
Sixth, the District policy is that kindergarten is NOT compulsory and that the parent gets to choose when to enroll his/her child. Hence, the argument is moot...until, of course, the attorneys get involved.
Seventh, when did we all sign on that success for Charlie is looking like everyone else in a SPECIAL DAY CLASS? I'm not looking for normal or easy anymore. I'm looking for happy, progressing, safe, learning. Frankly, I've seen enough "typical" children to suspect that their behavior isn't such a barrel of fun a lot of days. This whole idea that if he's not verbal or if he isn't looking in your eyes when you're talking, that he's not getting anything out of the experience is so inhibited.
Eighth, kiss my grits, Dr. Man and Pat Matt.


Having hoped for a bit more objective discussion about the placement (i.e., how many hours per day, for what activities, with what accommodations, etc.), my first reaction was to dissolve in tears. This is becoming a freaking regular occurrence and is pretty damn annoying. Not my thing and very inefficient.
Alas, Patty Kiki (for whom tears are also the enemy of the organized way of life), called at the precise moment that the waterworks had commenced. Poof! She appears in the house, doing her very best to talk in very short, crisp sentences until I snapped out of it. She makes the very wise and brilliant recommendation that I cancel the IEP scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.
Leave a message for the special ed ombudsperson who already had to shake me out of prior IEP fountaining (crying with high PSI).
Drop Charlie at school and head to a special ed committee meeting. Patty Xena notes the red nose and confirms that while unusual, canceling may be the appropriate action.
Immediately after the meeting, Sand Crab got to make a "Morale Call". Poor Major Crab sounded like he had a tummyache and I'm guessing my mood was not good for his morale. When I noted as much, he said it could be a "Marriage Call" instead. He's a good egg, even if he made his blog-readers revisit the long-ago forgotten "Ozymandius".
From Ben's call it was to transfer his PowerPoint sweat into camp payment at the "Y" for the J-crabs' Wood-working camp next week.
Then I managed to make contact with spec ed ombudsperson (need a Pat name for him as it is tedious to type his title, and there is only 2 in his job and only one of them male). He agrees that postponing is absolutely reasonable given that I haven't had a chance to review the documents that the team provided.
Called the District employee to whom Pat Ombuds-guy referred me. She was okay, although way less enthused about changing the meeting date (probably because it is work for her). And my shoulders became lighter and the sun came out from behind the June gloom.
Rest of the day was pretty average. Ran Charlie hither and yon. Went to the grocery store. Drove to/fro baseball practice.
Did take Charlie to his favorite place on earth (sorry, Disneyland): the "movie-stoh". Such uninhibited joy for running down the aisles to the New Release - Kids section matched only by his enthusiastic bartering -- we started at 2 movies, and he managed to hold up "fwee" fingers (thumb, index, middle), but quickly offered "Fo?" Why the hell not. He left, gleeful, with "Into the Weep (Deep)", "Mickey Mows", "Diego Elephant", and "Bob Builder can-we-fix-it". If only we adults had that kind of easy contentment. Total cost to Mr. Provider's account = $2.13.
Meanwhile, Wednesday is no longer dreaded and thinking I need a helmet of my own to deal with this much stupid.

No comments:
Post a Comment