Monday, June 2, 2008

Dramatic or just plain irrational?

Yesterday there I was, minding my own (and my children's) business. Enter (stage rear) an unrelated youngster whose antics have been, on occasion, mentioned within this blog. On any given day, the probability that I will need to intervene, facilitate, supervise, referee, disentangle bodies, raise my voice, repeat my directives, or otherwise pay attention to the wandering pack of neighborhood boys dramatically sky-rockets when this youngster arrives on the scene.

Within under an hour, sure enough, three adults had to correct his behavior. So I volunteered to call his home and apprise his parent of the goings-on in the 'sac. To my utter amazement, within, say 36 seconds of commencing conversation, I was informed that this family had...

stay with me here...

REMOVED THEIR CHILD FROM JAMIE'S CLASSROOM,
nay, FROM JAMIE'S SCHOOL ALTOGETHER
solely because of what a dirty, rotten, no-good, wicked, mean, bullying child Jamie had become.







So now I am both intrigued and dismayed. While I by no means consider Jamie to manifest perfect or perfectly appropriate behavior 24/7, I do not think of him as maliciously trying to impede a fellow student's ability to access his educational environment. Is it possible that the teacher, the principal, the teacher's aide, and the vast assortment of other adults responsible for Jamie have not once indicated that he is a B-U-L-L-Y?

Like I said, I'm also very, very curious that the 1:10 adult/child ratio that was in effect in the structured routine of a 3rd grade classroom was not sufficient to allow the boys to coexist BUT that it's perfectly palatable for this parent to dispatch her child to play with/near/around my child with absolutely ZERO adult supervision!

I'm feeling that I've been served up my very own slice of crazy-cake.



Now I like a good bakery-produced item as much as the next crab, but this verges on pathological. Meanwhile Jamie is on a tight crab-leash until his name can be cleared and his yard companions can be civilized.

No comments: