Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Whack-a-mole: Jamie

The CQ has moments of being, as Jack would say, "not great".

From when he was LLGA's current age, J-crab Jr. has received Physical Therapy of one kind or another. At minimum, he has had orthodic inserts for his feet and it has been recommended that he receive some direct treatment.

The CQ just ran out of steam over the past year-and-change. First, I haven't battled the District for what Jamie needs because I just didn't have the fight in me (and what fight I had was diverted to other crablets). Second, I let an authorization for medical-model PT lapse because I wasn't schlepping Charlie and I didn't envision LLGA's infancy sitting in a waiting room. Please avert your eyes, readers, as the CQ engages in a bit of self-reproach.

So when Little League season rolled around for a second time and Jamie was complaining of foot, hip, and quad pain, I finally sought a referral.

Yesterday, Rady Children's Hospital PT called to schedule us. After 3 phone calls to Triwest, I was able to switch providers to our favorite one-stop-therapy-spot. An hour of my life tracking down the provider's tax ID number that I don't get back!
So this morning, the receptionist from our preferred spot calls and says, "How about today at 1:50?" It's only Jamie's minimum day, only perfect!

So Jamie was evaluated. While he's "functional", he is compensating in such dramatic ways for low-tone, he is at-risk for more and more severe sports injuries. His feet and ankles are doing creative anatomical contortions (contortion is the wrong word but if he was an auto, he'd need an alignment). His stability has worsened. And, most appalling to the CQ, to whom the District has insisted Jamie is doing just fine in PE, Jamie could not complete even one push-up in proper form and his sit-up ("curls") are horrifying to witness. These are considered state curricular standards and Jamie is far below basic proficiency. The PT and PT intern were pretty impressed (not in the good way) by his shoulder "girdle" sagging.

Recommendation: Aggressive PT (2 tx. per week) and Orthodics.

CQ Action Plan: File a complaint of noncompliance with CDE. Hate to, but I've exhausted all other options.

----

On the plus side, I got to see Patty Lisa Triplets in our old stomping grounds...so much has transpired since the Dramatic Incident in the Hedge on the Way to Burger King!

Also on the plus side, it was Old Home Week as I got to show-off LLGA to Charlie-boy's former therapists.

No comments: