Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Above & Beyond Awards Put CQ Below & Beneath!

It's my third annual Martyrdom at the Altar of District-Parent Collaboration.

I'm chairing the "Above & Beyond Awards" where we honor community members, parents, students, general education staff and special education staff who go "above and beyond" (hence the name) to benefit students with disabilities in our District.

My role is generally to cajole busy folks into nominating people. Then I, with the assistance of my pal the Sharpie marker, redact all personally-identifiable information from the nominations. Then I beg, plead, and otherwise harrass the committee into rating the nominations. (Of course, I'm light-headed and frankly, high, by the time I've inhaled the Sharpie (TM) marker fumes). Then I "proctor" the ratings session. And, then the real fun, notifying winners and non-winners and preparing a program and nagging others to contribute to the party spread (as we have no budget). And my favorite, cake ordering, schlepping, and serving.

It's a worthwhile endeavor but it is time-consuming. And this year, I went to the trouble of trying to allow a member wishing to rate but unable to attend the scheduled rating session to participate. This meant that all day Wednesday and Thursday of last week I hurried to finish the redacting. That is to say, I made myself more high, faster, than previously. Handed over the redacted essays and impressed upon said member that she needed to return them NLT noon Monday.

Fast-forward to Monday, 12:17 p.m. when her pal (and supposed courier) arrived to rate, late, and essay-free. And rating-free, for that matter.

No good deed goes unpunished. Make that no good deed on behalf of a good deed goes unpunished. Grrr.

No comments: