Friday, May 29, 2009

OOO: Thursday, May 28 - part I.

Awakened. Grumpy about the day of running about.

Grumpy because the baby kicked 1/3 of the breastmilk-based cereal all over the floor (I was momentarily distracted by Jack and allowed my cereal-holding hand to enter the LLGA Flail Zone).

Grumpy about Tim's medicine-taking behavior.

Then LLGA spit up her entire jar of bananas. My prior definition of grumpy was cast aside in favor of THIS grumpy. It was 8:10 a.m.

In the next 20 minutes, I wavered between not attending the meeting, trying to participate telephonically, and going with LLGA, hoping she'd hurl at the meeting. The latter would represent a whole new strategy, an entirely novel front on my intermittent battle.

At 8:53 a.m., LLGA and I presented ourselves at Jack's middle school. Face-to-face with this new Ident-a-Kid photo sticker badge system. Needless to say, my badge portrait countenance was, in fact:

Guess?

GRUMPY.

Should have just typed in Crabby Grumpypants instead of my real name.

Arrive in the media center and discover, LO!, I'm the only one there besides the frantic case manager. Nothing is working -- not the projector, not the speaker phone, and apparently, not the idea of timeliness.

Eventually, the principal, the speech therapist, the Occupational therapist, the ombudsperson, the autism specialist, and a serial parade of teachers. The vision doctor was hung up upon twice before we established the speakerphone connection only to be told to wait because the school-wide announcements were in progress (and no one could hear him). That was pretty ugly as Jack stated the doctor didn't see him for re-evaluation but the doctor stated otherwise. (I believe Jack since he's pretty clear on men vs. women and the doc was a man and Jack saw one woman. That, and I was watching the door and no one but Jack and the female Vision Therapist went in and out). It was also ugly because this fellow tried to opine that 1%ile scoring was "passable". I'll deal with that later.

Here are the teachers:

Band - Jack has mastered the second-most-difficult instrument. He has been selected to Advanced (marching) Band and Orchestra Winds because he has the maturity. In short, he is a model band geek.

Science - Jack's cell project, previously featured, received a B-/C+ . I believe I shot the 19-y-o-looking teacher a stink eye over that. He tried to call me out for not letting Jack view a VHS video that he'd sent home (that the rest of class watched when Jack was absent). I had to fill in the Jack-omitted details that he asked to watch it at 10:30 p.m. on the TV (which castle-followers know is 3 feet from my Aerobed) and I told him to get up early and watch it and he preferred to sleep in.

History - She loves Jack. He's picked a table with the popular/cool/socially-advanced guys and she and the SLP were freaking out that Jack would be the butt of the jokes, etc. As it turns out, Jack has totally enjoyed being there and the kids have been decent to him. Perhaps this explains some of his more teenager-ish behavior. Next year's Seminar History teacher will not be Jack's 6th grade teacher, which is an epic win for us.

English - Not great. Jack's read three slim books all year. This teacher has Jack for Advisory period and couldn't tell the team whether he'd been reading the same "leisure book" all year, as both SLP and I suspect. This teacher also couldn't tell us the focus or what titles to expect from the 8th grade curriculum. The principal looked a bit pained. Jack's writing is sandy.

Math - Jack has nearly an A+ since moving back into Advanced Pre-Algebra at the beginning of 2nd semester. I observed that he doesn't seem to have to try very hard compared to Advanced Algebra I. No argument that he's coasting. And this teacher thinks he'll struggle next year.

PE - Jack is a great addition to the PE program. Nice kid, tries hard. When out of his comfort zone, not so great. The teacher would like to talk with Jack about H.S. athletics because he thinks there's a place for Jack at University City H.S. sports. Track/field or cross-country. Who knew?

Unresolved Issue:
Zero period for next year.

LLGA did not hurl and was, in fact, utterly perfect. Looked at books, gurgled a bit, and then took a one-hour nap. Three hours of meeting without a squawk. Sadly, three hours did not conclude the fun so we've got to meet again. Sigh.

No comments: