Friday, May 29, 2009

LLGA: 9-month Well-child (or OOO: Thursday, May 28 - part II)

Background (alluded to in prior post): Naval Hospital had a 2-1/2 month wait for a well-child appointment with our Primary Care Manager. Meaning LLGA would have her 9 month check at 11 months. Needless to say, CQ nearly flipped out. The nurse went underground to a provider willing to sneak us into a pediatrician willing to recode covertly the appointment. Meanwhile, I referred her to the Regional Center for evaluation as we've hit the point that we can start seeing social/language issues and I shan't spend time in denial (as I did with Charlie-boy). Not that there's any obvious symptoms of the a-word; however, I'm not counting on anyone to say, "Gee, CQ, she looks a little touch of the a-word."

Yesterday: The pediatric appointment was yesterday. She apparently exhibited just the right amount of stranger anxiety and attachment to me -- in addition to near-standing-alone and decent stare-down with the doctor -- to not meet criteria for a medical referral to Developmental Peds. The doctor did ask whether she got to be around other kids "besides her siblings". Leading the CQ to wonder, mercifully only in her own head and not aloud -- yay for that filtering: Is a-word now contagious??

The stats were consistent: "Huge" but she has hit a plateau and is tracking along an expected growth curve, just one that doesn't appear on the paper!

25 lb. 2.7 oz. (above 97%ile)
28 in. (only 75%ile)
head circumference = 47 cm (also above 97%ile and not a stat families with a-word already embrace)

Alas, the milestone survey was a bit discouraging:

Not playing peek-a-boo (a 5 month skill?)
Not responding consistently to her name (a 6 month skill?)
And so forth.
Even the gross motor skills I'd banked on as "advanced" were only 1 month ahead.
Humph!

So she'll have an assessment from the Regional Center. And, for now, I'm attributing my somewhat pessimistic view to sleep deprivation, missing Combat Crab, a propensity toward waiting for the other developmental shoe to drop, and LLGA's current cold/tummy bug.

No comments: