Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Monday Night Tidbit

At last night's parent meeting for Troop 506, the Scoutmaster announced the new leadership of the troop, which included Jack (aka, J-crab, Sr).

Sadly, Cake Lady and her entourage had already departed the meeting by this point.
(Double-sadly, it appears that Cake Lady's son is joining the Troop. We will coexist, but she obviously had our place on the roster on the "con" column and still picked the troop).

However, I was a bit taken aback to hear the other names as they Star, Life, Star, First class, and Life.

Jack is, ahem, a lowly Tenderfoot.

In a sweet twist of poetry, CL's son is in Jack's Patrol. Jack told me, "Mom, I was super nice to ______ (CL's son)." I told him, "That's great, Jack. I'm proud of you. That's what leadership is about...helping new folks feel welcome and giving them the experiences to become leaders themselves. You are acting just the way you should...treating everyone equally."

Jack said, "I actually made even more of an effort to be nice than normal because I think he needs the niceness more."

To which I responded, "Who knows, Jack? Maybe you and ____ will end up being lifelong friends in spite of your mothers. I am whole-heartedly in support of you being a person of solid character in spite of my example."

But I couldn't stop there, with a positive parenting moment.

No, sir, because I continued, "But, Jack, how about some positive reinforcement for your mom since I was super-duper nice to his mom and dad? You know, I'm a nothing-parent...I'm not a Parent Patrol Leader or anything."

***For those not familiar with Scouting,from beginning to goal:
Scout.
Tenderfoot.
Second Class.
First Class.
Star.
Life.
Eagle.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Zeee Cake Ladeeeeeeeeeeeee