Saturday, May 23, 2009
OOO: Overheard in the Sand Castle, Starring GMK and CQ
Friday noontime.
Castle's galley kitchen.
Crab Queen is trying to urge a quicker decision from GMK on what to order from Cafe Athena, a yum-yummy Greek/Mediteranean restaurant. To no avail.
GMK: What are you having?
CQ: Something destined to interfere with your ability to decide what you are having.
GMK: Hmmmm.
CQ: Really, Mom, I'm probably going with the Gyros. No, I wouldn't count on partaking of my portion. You need to make a decision. Where's the menu?
GMK: I thought it was in the livingroom.
CQ: And yet you are here, not studying the menu.
GMK (from the livingroom): I can't find it.
CQ: That's because it's in here, by the coffee-maker, and not being gazed upon after I went to all that trouble to excavate it from the menu drawer.
Minutes elapse. GMK is in a sort of vertical silent stupor that accompanies her being presented too much choice, too little structure, etc.
CQ (trying not to gnaw off own digits): Mom, any chance you're making progress?
GMK: Um, well, I could have the grilled vegetable sandwich.
CQ: Is that your final order?
GMK: What are you having again?
CQ: Gyros. Not that such information should in any way influence your choice of tasty goodness.
GMK: Do you have any suggestions for me?
CQ (trying to play along, for sake of the Process): [Patty SW] likes the Horatiki, but I don't think over lentils. Maybe over rice?
GMK: Ooooh, I would...I would like it with lentils.
CQ: Okay, it's good to know that someone, even in today's tough economic times, is keeping the lentil growers of America with a market for their product.
No response, then:
GMK: What's the name of the salad that [Patty Grace] gets?
CQ: The Mediterranean Chicken Salad. I get it, too. It's good.
GMK: Does it come in a small size?
CQ: No, but you could get a small greek as a side.
Silence...return to the stupor. Must...fight...the...stupor, Must...keep...her...talking. (Like fighting hypothermia!)
CQ: Or a bowl of soup even. I like the avgo (avgolemono, a lemon-egg soup).
GMK: I could get the horatiki over lentils with the lentil soup.
CQ (running out of patience for this exercise): Gee, mom, that sounds like the perfect lunch ...
IF you're looking to get 100% of your ANNUAL recommended allowance of &^%#$ (sandy) LENTILS!!!
Epilogue: GMK ordered the grilled vegie sandwich with a small Greek salad. I, unwavering, ordered the Gyros.
Mon Dieu!
Castle's galley kitchen.
Crab Queen is trying to urge a quicker decision from GMK on what to order from Cafe Athena, a yum-yummy Greek/Mediteranean restaurant. To no avail.
GMK: What are you having?
CQ: Something destined to interfere with your ability to decide what you are having.
GMK: Hmmmm.
CQ: Really, Mom, I'm probably going with the Gyros. No, I wouldn't count on partaking of my portion. You need to make a decision. Where's the menu?
GMK: I thought it was in the livingroom.
CQ: And yet you are here, not studying the menu.
GMK (from the livingroom): I can't find it.
CQ: That's because it's in here, by the coffee-maker, and not being gazed upon after I went to all that trouble to excavate it from the menu drawer.
Minutes elapse. GMK is in a sort of vertical silent stupor that accompanies her being presented too much choice, too little structure, etc.
CQ (trying not to gnaw off own digits): Mom, any chance you're making progress?
GMK: Um, well, I could have the grilled vegetable sandwich.
CQ: Is that your final order?
GMK: What are you having again?
CQ: Gyros. Not that such information should in any way influence your choice of tasty goodness.
GMK: Do you have any suggestions for me?
CQ (trying to play along, for sake of the Process): [Patty SW] likes the Horatiki, but I don't think over lentils. Maybe over rice?
GMK: Ooooh, I would...I would like it with lentils.
CQ: Okay, it's good to know that someone, even in today's tough economic times, is keeping the lentil growers of America with a market for their product.
No response, then:
GMK: What's the name of the salad that [Patty Grace] gets?
CQ: The Mediterranean Chicken Salad. I get it, too. It's good.
GMK: Does it come in a small size?
CQ: No, but you could get a small greek as a side.
Silence...return to the stupor. Must...fight...the...stupor, Must...keep...her...talking. (Like fighting hypothermia!)
CQ: Or a bowl of soup even. I like the avgo (avgolemono, a lemon-egg soup).
GMK: I could get the horatiki over lentils with the lentil soup.
CQ (running out of patience for this exercise): Gee, mom, that sounds like the perfect lunch ...
IF you're looking to get 100% of your ANNUAL recommended allowance of &^%#$ (sandy) LENTILS!!!
Epilogue: GMK ordered the grilled vegie sandwich with a small Greek salad. I, unwavering, ordered the Gyros.
Mon Dieu!

1 comment:
too much laughter to type anything near creative!
How we miss GMK!!!!!
Post a Comment