Saturday, May 17, 2008
Day Twenty: If it's Saturday, it must be Little League.
Ahhh, springtime. When a mother's heart turns to the issue of Air-Conditioning. We are entering another heatwave with high-for-us humidity. It must be the weekend!
Our sitter arrived promptly at 9 a.m. and Aunt Patty Cake and I moseyed to "David's Bridal" in order to Hunt a Bridesmaid's Gown. Naturally, I people-watched from a chair while Erin stepped into and out of a dozen gowns. It is Grumpy-Pants-inducing as such establishments routinely require one to "go up" at least one (and several times two!) sizes. We emerged, successfully identifying a gown in the right dye lot but with no need for alterations, massive dieting, or even special undergarments. Yippee!
Next was Jack's baseball game. Granted, we were tardy to the field (thanks to Erin's propensity to befriend people who become engaged to be married). Apparently, one of Jack's fellow Standley M.S. bus-riders (who routinely teases and taunts Jack) was on the opposing team and took the occasion of a Jack strike-out to belittle him. Fast-forward past the tears and upsetment to our arrival, when I noticed immediately that Patty Kiki *and her Very Becoming Summer Haircut* was not at the scorer's table but rather smack-dab in the midst of the Giants dug-out. (Absolutely, her calming skills had been needed to regain his composure). Yes, indeedy, Jack was too worked up to play in the field for any of the innings that APC and I were actually sitting on the unyielding bleachers in the blazing noon sunshine. The sole at-bat we witnessed resulted in a fielder's choice and the 3rd out of the inning. Of course, APC wanted to go engage the mother of the aforementioned mean 6th-grader; I pointed out that a. she believes her son is the essence of perfection (quite unlike Jack's mom's opinion of her own offspring), b. I didn't want to engage in a blue vs. red auto decal battle, and c. Jack needs to learn to deal with jerks, bullies, and other assorted nincompoops. For those following the box score: Giants and Orioles tied.
For our next entertainment, Jamie's ballgame. Patty Kiki supplied SPF-challenged APC and me with her fancy, blue gazebo shade-thingy. With the help of several dads, it was erected over the Major field aluminum bleachers -- providing a zone of comfort sought by both elder spectators, and kids with pet snails in a pencil box. With this climate enhancement, APC and I settled in for a riveting game between J's Cubbies and the opposing Padres. Giving props to the Padres, they are most improved from the start of the year. However, they would succumb to the phenomenol closing pitching of Sid. But, wait, I get ahead of myself. Jamie's first at-bat was a half-hearted tap in the infield for a, say-it-with-me, Jack, 3rd out of the inning. Jamie's second at-bat, with 2 outs and the bases loaded, was a thing of wretched beauty. Count is 3-2. Then, the pitch is released and zips straight for Jamie's head. He takes a hand to shield his face, which only slightly reduces the speed of the ball at impact. Yes, sports fans, it hit his chin. Not the Schwack! sound I'd been longing to behold but after it was established that there was no blood, no missing teeth, and no permanent injury, he walked to first and a run came home. ***Of special note: I remained in the bleachers throughout the entire minutes-long establishment of player condition, although in fairness, I did slide down to the bottom-most bleacher. Aunt Patty Cake missed the entire thing, returning to ask, "someone told me Jamie got a hit?" and learning that "only if Jamie's chin was the bat!" Still AMAZING maternal restraint.*** Then he turned into this little dancing ninny -- trying to tempt the pitcher to throw it to first even though there were runners at 2nd and 3rd. He hit into a fielder's choice later in the game, if I'm not mistaken. Defensively solid performances at 3rd (2 innings), 1st (3 innings), and left field (1 inning). Will report on the State of the Chin in upcoming posts.
Home for APC and the J's to shower and scoot out the door for the latest Narnia movie, securing Aunt Patty Cake's position as Beloved. Meanwhile, I ran through BK with Tim, fed Tim and Charlie, typed up a schedule for our sitter, showered T and C, and have them in front of a brand-new Bob the Builder DVD with the fan on me.
Our sitter arrived promptly at 9 a.m. and Aunt Patty Cake and I moseyed to "David's Bridal" in order to Hunt a Bridesmaid's Gown. Naturally, I people-watched from a chair while Erin stepped into and out of a dozen gowns. It is Grumpy-Pants-inducing as such establishments routinely require one to "go up" at least one (and several times two!) sizes. We emerged, successfully identifying a gown in the right dye lot but with no need for alterations, massive dieting, or even special undergarments. Yippee!
Next was Jack's baseball game. Granted, we were tardy to the field (thanks to Erin's propensity to befriend people who become engaged to be married). Apparently, one of Jack's fellow Standley M.S. bus-riders (who routinely teases and taunts Jack) was on the opposing team and took the occasion of a Jack strike-out to belittle him. Fast-forward past the tears and upsetment to our arrival, when I noticed immediately that Patty Kiki *and her Very Becoming Summer Haircut* was not at the scorer's table but rather smack-dab in the midst of the Giants dug-out. (Absolutely, her calming skills had been needed to regain his composure). Yes, indeedy, Jack was too worked up to play in the field for any of the innings that APC and I were actually sitting on the unyielding bleachers in the blazing noon sunshine. The sole at-bat we witnessed resulted in a fielder's choice and the 3rd out of the inning. Of course, APC wanted to go engage the mother of the aforementioned mean 6th-grader; I pointed out that a. she believes her son is the essence of perfection (quite unlike Jack's mom's opinion of her own offspring), b. I didn't want to engage in a blue vs. red auto decal battle, and c. Jack needs to learn to deal with jerks, bullies, and other assorted nincompoops. For those following the box score: Giants and Orioles tied.
For our next entertainment, Jamie's ballgame. Patty Kiki supplied SPF-challenged APC and me with her fancy, blue gazebo shade-thingy. With the help of several dads, it was erected over the Major field aluminum bleachers -- providing a zone of comfort sought by both elder spectators, and kids with pet snails in a pencil box. With this climate enhancement, APC and I settled in for a riveting game between J's Cubbies and the opposing Padres. Giving props to the Padres, they are most improved from the start of the year. However, they would succumb to the phenomenol closing pitching of Sid. But, wait, I get ahead of myself. Jamie's first at-bat was a half-hearted tap in the infield for a, say-it-with-me, Jack, 3rd out of the inning. Jamie's second at-bat, with 2 outs and the bases loaded, was a thing of wretched beauty. Count is 3-2. Then, the pitch is released and zips straight for Jamie's head. He takes a hand to shield his face, which only slightly reduces the speed of the ball at impact. Yes, sports fans, it hit his chin. Not the Schwack! sound I'd been longing to behold but after it was established that there was no blood, no missing teeth, and no permanent injury, he walked to first and a run came home. ***Of special note: I remained in the bleachers throughout the entire minutes-long establishment of player condition, although in fairness, I did slide down to the bottom-most bleacher. Aunt Patty Cake missed the entire thing, returning to ask, "someone told me Jamie got a hit?" and learning that "only if Jamie's chin was the bat!" Still AMAZING maternal restraint.*** Then he turned into this little dancing ninny -- trying to tempt the pitcher to throw it to first even though there were runners at 2nd and 3rd. He hit into a fielder's choice later in the game, if I'm not mistaken. Defensively solid performances at 3rd (2 innings), 1st (3 innings), and left field (1 inning). Will report on the State of the Chin in upcoming posts.
Home for APC and the J's to shower and scoot out the door for the latest Narnia movie, securing Aunt Patty Cake's position as Beloved. Meanwhile, I ran through BK with Tim, fed Tim and Charlie, typed up a schedule for our sitter, showered T and C, and have them in front of a brand-new Bob the Builder DVD with the fan on me.

No comments:
Post a Comment