Thursday, May 29, 2008
Day 33: A Glorious Day of Minor Conflict
Man vs. Man: The 3rd Installment of Jack's IEP.
Alas, my desire to continue with the love-in from last Thursday fell dreadfully short. Our progress became mired in the District OT's utter dismissal of Jack's independent OT's findings/recommendations. Then the District SLP played this game about Jack not needing WEEKLY services just "approximately 90 min/wk". (Know that this is not an insignificant amount of service and she is signed up to work on many goals so the notion that she needn't see him the first several weeks of the year, the last several weeks of the year, during standardized testing weeks, etc.) The worst part is that they didn't finish so we have to meet a FOURTH time (June 12).
Man vs. Nature: Crab Queen vs. Mold/Mildew/Dank, Nasty Smell, continued When we last saw our heroine battling the forces of micro-culture, the plumber had verified aforementioned nasty smell but ruled out drain flow as cause. Fast-forward to Thursday afternoon, when a maintenance guy from housing shows up with an industrial blower to put in the bathroom to "blow the smell out", claiming that the Maintenance Supervisor, Michael, had talked to me. (Michael had NOT talked to me). Suspending the fact that this bathroom is about 4x4 ft. and the blower's footprint is at least 4 sq. ft., I take him back and ask how the blower will get rid of the underlying smell-causing culprit (which, to my knowledge, remains undetermined).
Thus follows a circular discussion...
Maintenance Guy: I don't smell anything.
Me: That's because the ventilation fan is on and the door is open and the windows are open.
MG: I still don't smell it.
Me: If you want to smell it, I can close up the room for an hour and you can come back and inhale. Trust me, it's nasty and the plumber smelled it, too.
MG: You should always keep this window open.
Me: Well, since the planet could then watch me shower, that's not happening. I usually have it open otherwise. Well, except when no one's home.
MG: You should have it open all the time! Then, no smell.
Me: Are you saying this is MY fault?
MG: You have to keep the window open. Besides, no evidence that there's moisture problem.
Me: That's interesting, because, to me, the smell of mildew and mold indicates a moisture problem.
MG: Your tile would discolor, the walls would have MORE of this (pointing to a gray patch on the "drywall").
Me: I'm glad you mentioned that because LAST YEAR, when there was mold in this very bathroom, we had white linoleum that had faint gray patches. That's how we realized there was mold underneath the flooring. But then you all replaced the white tile with dark gray linoleum and lookit, we can't possibly see whether there's faint gray discoloration now.
MG: You need to forget about the problems before.
Me: I could except that there were problems before that with this very unit, in this very location.
MG: That doesn't mean there's a moisture problem today.
Me: Which brings us back to the unfortunate issue of the very nasty smell.
MG: Look, [sticking his finger in one spot along the baseboard], it's dry.
Me: That's testing? One spot? No one took a shower in here this morning, of course it's dry.
MG: I don't smell anything.
Me: And I understand that. But I, who live here, do smell something and that something smells bad and wrong.
MG: And I don't see anything.
Me: Yes, we clean the surfaces in the bathroom regularly. And we even flush the toilet. And you all put the enzyme deal down the drain. And we take out the trash.
MG: So I'm supposed to put the fan in here to blow the smell out.
Me: And then what will happen?
MG: I'll come back to check on it.
Me: But you're already saying there's no problem here. So after you blow the fan for ...
MG: A couple of days.
Me: You're going to come back and tell me that the no-problem problem is resolved?
MG: If I still don't smell anything, yes. But I can already tell you there is no moisture problem.
Me: Then what do you attribute the nasty smell to?
MG: I don't smell anything.
Me: My point EXACTLY. If we don't agree there's something to fix, why do anything at all?
MG: My boss told me to come put the fan in the bathroom.
Me: He also told you that he'd already talked to me, which he hasn't.
MG: Maybe you should go talk to him.
MG: Call him please.
So I call Michael and have almost verbatim the same conversation, establishing that Michael's Plan is to blow a fan for a few days and see if that dries out whatever their guy already thinks is dry. Then Michael's Plan is to send same Maintenance Guy, who I normally find quite pleasant, back to check whether there's a smell and whether he sees anything wrong. So then we have about 10-minutes round n' round about the waste-of-time that this will be.
Call Patty Kiki, the Unfortunate Recipient of All Recent Crazy Calls, and establish that Yes, she has smelled the nasty smell and that, Yes, it is most assuredly a moisture smell.
So I, with Patty Kiki's assurance that this is not crazy-cake, kick it up a notch, calling and leaving a message for the Housing Area Manager, Alyce. As I'm leaving the message, Maintenance Guy #2 appears in my doorway with the same fan but a wholly different approach.
MG2: I have no idea what is going on but I'm supposed to put this in a bathroom.
Me: Here you go.
MG2: So there's a smell?
Me: You don't smell it either?
MG2: I smoke so my sense of smell ain't so good.
Me: Well, I'm expecting so mine is on overdrive.
MG2: I believe you.
*** At this the heavens open, birds begin singing, and there is hope for world Peace.***
He re-caulks the toilet, the outside of the tub, fixes a hole in the splash guard, takes clear silicone to seal the bottom of the splash guard, helps me extract the vent fan unit so that I can vacuum and rinse it off, replaces it for me, agrees that we will have to "ricochet" the fan in such a tiny space.
The phone rings. It's Alyce, promising to be there with her Maintenance Super on Monday morning to do moisture test sampling. For the time being, I appear to be gaining the upper hand against the Powers of MicroEvil.
Woman vs. Herself: Book Group Meeting at Patty Grace's Delightful Abode, Crab Queen's Internal Conflict about HOW MANY DESSERTS CAN GO ON HER PLATE AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT WITHOUT DRAWING UNDUE ATTENTION (while considering the rate of consumption of her competitors, I mean fellow book group babes).
I finally reach the positive reinforcer of the day...book group. Having read the book, Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani, I was unusually poised to not only attend and eat but also -- dare I say -- participate in the conversation. The following caveat was in force: Interspersed throughout the book were fables in italics. Having started the book less than 72 hours prior to the book group, I skipped these fully knowing that the book would be "less rich". Oh, well. It was still a B, maybe a B+.
But for the real dish...ah, the tasties: Strawberries with sour cream/brown sugar dip. Heavenly. Black forest brownies. Divine. Marble cheese cake Petit-fours. Yum. Carmelized onion tartlets. Always just that savory goodness that lets one return to mowing through the sweets. Chocolate truffles. Luxurious. And, for the less well-heeled, which would be this walking stomach, a VON'S cupcake.
Kudos to Patty Grace for a lovely spread, gracious home, and most of all, delightful reprieve from the crablets. (And the gratitude of a conflicted soul for backing up my book recommendation for next month, The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher). :-) I'm hosting and will be at Trader Joe's attempting to achieve a duplication of Patty Grace's epicureal delights.
Alas, my desire to continue with the love-in from last Thursday fell dreadfully short. Our progress became mired in the District OT's utter dismissal of Jack's independent OT's findings/recommendations. Then the District SLP played this game about Jack not needing WEEKLY services just "approximately 90 min/wk". (Know that this is not an insignificant amount of service and she is signed up to work on many goals so the notion that she needn't see him the first several weeks of the year, the last several weeks of the year, during standardized testing weeks, etc.) The worst part is that they didn't finish so we have to meet a FOURTH time (June 12).
Man vs. Nature: Crab Queen vs. Mold/Mildew/Dank, Nasty Smell, continued When we last saw our heroine battling the forces of micro-culture, the plumber had verified aforementioned nasty smell but ruled out drain flow as cause. Fast-forward to Thursday afternoon, when a maintenance guy from housing shows up with an industrial blower to put in the bathroom to "blow the smell out", claiming that the Maintenance Supervisor, Michael, had talked to me. (Michael had NOT talked to me). Suspending the fact that this bathroom is about 4x4 ft. and the blower's footprint is at least 4 sq. ft., I take him back and ask how the blower will get rid of the underlying smell-causing culprit (which, to my knowledge, remains undetermined).
Thus follows a circular discussion...
Maintenance Guy: I don't smell anything.
Me: That's because the ventilation fan is on and the door is open and the windows are open.
MG: I still don't smell it.
Me: If you want to smell it, I can close up the room for an hour and you can come back and inhale. Trust me, it's nasty and the plumber smelled it, too.
MG: You should always keep this window open.
Me: Well, since the planet could then watch me shower, that's not happening. I usually have it open otherwise. Well, except when no one's home.
MG: You should have it open all the time! Then, no smell.
Me: Are you saying this is MY fault?
MG: You have to keep the window open. Besides, no evidence that there's moisture problem.
Me: That's interesting, because, to me, the smell of mildew and mold indicates a moisture problem.
MG: Your tile would discolor, the walls would have MORE of this (pointing to a gray patch on the "drywall").
Me: I'm glad you mentioned that because LAST YEAR, when there was mold in this very bathroom, we had white linoleum that had faint gray patches. That's how we realized there was mold underneath the flooring. But then you all replaced the white tile with dark gray linoleum and lookit, we can't possibly see whether there's faint gray discoloration now.
MG: You need to forget about the problems before.
Me: I could except that there were problems before that with this very unit, in this very location.
MG: That doesn't mean there's a moisture problem today.
Me: Which brings us back to the unfortunate issue of the very nasty smell.
MG: Look, [sticking his finger in one spot along the baseboard], it's dry.
Me: That's testing? One spot? No one took a shower in here this morning, of course it's dry.
MG: I don't smell anything.
Me: And I understand that. But I, who live here, do smell something and that something smells bad and wrong.
MG: And I don't see anything.
Me: Yes, we clean the surfaces in the bathroom regularly. And we even flush the toilet. And you all put the enzyme deal down the drain. And we take out the trash.
MG: So I'm supposed to put the fan in here to blow the smell out.
Me: And then what will happen?
MG: I'll come back to check on it.
Me: But you're already saying there's no problem here. So after you blow the fan for ...
MG: A couple of days.
Me: You're going to come back and tell me that the no-problem problem is resolved?
MG: If I still don't smell anything, yes. But I can already tell you there is no moisture problem.
Me: Then what do you attribute the nasty smell to?
MG: I don't smell anything.
Me: My point EXACTLY. If we don't agree there's something to fix, why do anything at all?
MG: My boss told me to come put the fan in the bathroom.
Me: He also told you that he'd already talked to me, which he hasn't.
MG: Maybe you should go talk to him.
MG: Call him please.
So I call Michael and have almost verbatim the same conversation, establishing that Michael's Plan is to blow a fan for a few days and see if that dries out whatever their guy already thinks is dry. Then Michael's Plan is to send same Maintenance Guy, who I normally find quite pleasant, back to check whether there's a smell and whether he sees anything wrong. So then we have about 10-minutes round n' round about the waste-of-time that this will be.
Call Patty Kiki, the Unfortunate Recipient of All Recent Crazy Calls, and establish that Yes, she has smelled the nasty smell and that, Yes, it is most assuredly a moisture smell.
So I, with Patty Kiki's assurance that this is not crazy-cake, kick it up a notch, calling and leaving a message for the Housing Area Manager, Alyce. As I'm leaving the message, Maintenance Guy #2 appears in my doorway with the same fan but a wholly different approach.
MG2: I have no idea what is going on but I'm supposed to put this in a bathroom.
Me: Here you go.
MG2: So there's a smell?
Me: You don't smell it either?
MG2: I smoke so my sense of smell ain't so good.
Me: Well, I'm expecting so mine is on overdrive.
MG2: I believe you.
*** At this the heavens open, birds begin singing, and there is hope for world Peace.***
He re-caulks the toilet, the outside of the tub, fixes a hole in the splash guard, takes clear silicone to seal the bottom of the splash guard, helps me extract the vent fan unit so that I can vacuum and rinse it off, replaces it for me, agrees that we will have to "ricochet" the fan in such a tiny space.
The phone rings. It's Alyce, promising to be there with her Maintenance Super on Monday morning to do moisture test sampling. For the time being, I appear to be gaining the upper hand against the Powers of MicroEvil.
Woman vs. Herself: Book Group Meeting at Patty Grace's Delightful Abode, Crab Queen's Internal Conflict about HOW MANY DESSERTS CAN GO ON HER PLATE AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT WITHOUT DRAWING UNDUE ATTENTION (while considering the rate of consumption of her competitors, I mean fellow book group babes).
I finally reach the positive reinforcer of the day...book group. Having read the book, Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani, I was unusually poised to not only attend and eat but also -- dare I say -- participate in the conversation. The following caveat was in force: Interspersed throughout the book were fables in italics. Having started the book less than 72 hours prior to the book group, I skipped these fully knowing that the book would be "less rich". Oh, well. It was still a B, maybe a B+.
But for the real dish...ah, the tasties: Strawberries with sour cream/brown sugar dip. Heavenly. Black forest brownies. Divine. Marble cheese cake Petit-fours. Yum. Carmelized onion tartlets. Always just that savory goodness that lets one return to mowing through the sweets. Chocolate truffles. Luxurious. And, for the less well-heeled, which would be this walking stomach, a VON'S cupcake.
Kudos to Patty Grace for a lovely spread, gracious home, and most of all, delightful reprieve from the crablets. (And the gratitude of a conflicted soul for backing up my book recommendation for next month, The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher). :-) I'm hosting and will be at Trader Joe's attempting to achieve a duplication of Patty Grace's epicureal delights.

No comments:
Post a Comment