Monday, May 5, 2008

Day Nine (aka, Monday): Olfactory Onslaught

Very busy day here on the homefront.

Charlie was still running a low-grade fever so played the "cancel everything Charlie" game. So annoying.

Focus of the day was on preparing Above & Beyond Awards nominations (*recognizing excellence in special education for our District*) for the rating committee, which meets on Wednesday (and beyond). Lots of collating and, due to the need for redacting personally-identifiable info, an incredibly-nauseating amount of Sharpie fumes. 32 nominees but 78 essays to censor away.

Took a break to run to the post office and to the grocery store. Managed to spend too little to qualify for a gas discount. However, did get some quality time in the raw meat section as well as the ever-popular cleaning and pet-food aisle. The desire to avoid strong scents probably discouraged me from spending the requisite Ben-bank.

Oh, but wait: 3:30 p.m. brings my Cub Scout den. To my home. We had lots of engaging activities but somehow, that involved doling out "strikes" for misbehavior and asking certain boys to kindly get OFF of my diningroom table...more than once. (Huh?! Only 1 of them was surnamed "Allbritton" -- Charlie.) The Illusion Science kit (from Jamie's Grandparents Allbritton birthday bonanza) was a huge hit and I feel like I was able to use "Stumbling on Happiness" (by Daniel Gilbert, a Harvard professor) for good and not evil. Yes, I incorporated little tidbits like the amazing part of optical illusions is not just that we see funny things, but that we see funny things in precisely the same way. Isn't that a clever feature of our brains? And more, I got to impart the proof that we all have a bona fide blind spot...not just me when I'm behind the wheel...courtesy of the optical nerve's connection to the retina wall. Eventually, the Jenny/Kathryn Show arrived to finish up a Mother's Day Jewelry project with the boys. (Shellie, I bet you haven't ventured into Silvercraft yet!)

Remember all this joyful chaos is also punctuated -- think stacatto on a novice violin -- with various Scout moms arriving, Tim's bus drop, Tim's behavior consultant's arrival, Tim eating one chip out of the scouts' snack -- this resulted in UNBELIEVABLE tears, 1 respite provider's arrival, and of course Jenny, Kathryn, and the smell of sulfur needed to do something to the silver. Not until the odor permeated our galley kitchen did Jack arrive home...naturally, he said something wholly rude.

At 4:25 p.m., I flew (okay, as a mortal I merely careened Ben's CR-V down the hill) to take Jamie and another Cub to their Little League game. Then transit back uphill to switch vehicles, grab Jack, make 2 other stops for 3 Giants players a' la practice vanpool, and deposit them with their coach at PB Elementary (with Charlie in the van) promptly at 4:55 p.m. As I cheerfully waved at the coach, I thought of the Great Circle of Life and how I was exchanging my hyperverbal child for 1-hour with an adult male having done 1 hour with 9 simply-hyper children.

Then motor-motor back home, drop Charlie, throw some directives around now that 2 respite providers are properly installed for the dinner/shower routine, grab an iced tea, zip past Subway for the gotta-love-the-$5-footlong-special, and park to spy on Jamie's game (while continuing the overexposure to Sharpie markers) and trying to stay warm. Jamie had a decent game (reportedly) and I enjoyed my Subway choc-chip cookies in relative peace and quiet.

Game over, it was home again, home again, jiggety-jig to huddle with the board-certified behavior guy and then fly (qualifying supersonic as the roundtrip was sub-9 minutes) to Kinko's for further copying of nominations.

Eventually, Jack returned from Boy Scouts (St. Kathryn had given him dinner and driven the vanpool from bb practice to the troop meeting).

Day is Done. May tomorrow bring the smell of flowers and ocean breezes...and Charlie to SCHOOL!

No comments: