Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Castle Alert: Our Villian, Mold/Mildew, Has Returned and Brought Another Obstacle: "Not-so-Universal Remote Controls"!
Yes, for all the joy that comes from living on the cul-de-sac and having a fancy fireplace in our 4BR quarters, there is a dark secret: Living with this million-dollar view (maybe only $990K given the current housing market) comes with The Curse of Moisture.
Housing "Service Mngr." sent over Plumbing Guy this morning. Lo and behold, Plumbing Guy agreed with me: that dank, nasty smell is not plumbing-related. So, I called "Service Mngr." upon hearing these tidings...he chuckled and said, "That's easier to fix." Making me want to thrust my hand through the phone to wring his neck...if it was easier to fix, then why are we fixing it AGAIN?
(For those of you who may not catalog each/every Sand Castle curse, malady, and substandard construction issue, both bathrooms had to be torn apart last spring, mold/mildew cleaned out, replaced linoleum, replaced parts of the walls, and replaced baseboards. This required us to be out of the home for a day, which was not met with mirth and merriment.)
The good news is that accusations that my pregnant olfactory senses are on overdrive are erroneous. I might be more sensitive, but I'm accurate.
Moments ago, within 1/2 hour of the fleeing plumber, I received a call from our housing maintenance dept. to ask about my customer satisfaction with this "ticket". I hope that poor soul gets some positive feedback because all I can think about is my unborn baby's incidental contact with spores of unknown danger (okay, that's way more dramatic than I'm actually feeling)...all I can imagine is another day of trying to reconfigure Charlie's in-home therapies to another location and finding a day/time that the Family Crab will not need to be in our home. In my personal -- and loathsomely inaccurate -- crystal ball, Aunt Patty Cake flies back and we take the kids to Disneyland for a night while all the nasty spores suffer a violent eradication. Also in my Fantasy Camp, since I'm writing the script, our housing office reimburses me what a night at the "Navy Lodge" would cost. Ha, now I've become a comedy writer!
Programming the Replacement of the Replacement Universal Remote~ Frustrating and Foiled Again. Turns out, now that I endured a Wal-Mart trek to procure another remote, that more than 64 internet posters agree: Trutech (TM) is wicked, evil, and does not promulgate its TV/DVD codes. So my choice is keep on trying until I land on the 4-digit sequence that works. (Maybe I have a future in the Human Genome Project as other-than-a-donor?) Think world's worst game of Mastermind(TM). The model was discontinued 2 months ago so, naturally, it is not available online. Moreover, Trutech's own website does not show accessories available for this model. I suppose the other obvious choice is to lumber across the room the "old-fashioned" way. Argh!
Admittedly, my commentary today is skewed (to the glass-half-empty) by Charlie's coughing party from 3-5:45 a.m. It took me about 2 hours of tossing/turning/irritation to overcome my inertia and just administer the asthma meds already, so I suppose I can only legitimately whine about 45-minutes of sleep deprivation. Just think of the whining I'll have up my sleeve by September! Won't this be a fun, insightful blog then!?
Tonight the Crab Family and a sitter are supposedly attending the Nationals @ the Padres on tix supplied by the Armed Services YMCA to feast upon free burgers n' sodas. Will depend on Charlie's coughing status, the weather forecast, Tim's mood, and my energy level. Odds of going: 50/50 as of 11:41 a.m.
Housing "Service Mngr." sent over Plumbing Guy this morning. Lo and behold, Plumbing Guy agreed with me: that dank, nasty smell is not plumbing-related. So, I called "Service Mngr." upon hearing these tidings...he chuckled and said, "That's easier to fix." Making me want to thrust my hand through the phone to wring his neck...if it was easier to fix, then why are we fixing it AGAIN?
(For those of you who may not catalog each/every Sand Castle curse, malady, and substandard construction issue, both bathrooms had to be torn apart last spring, mold/mildew cleaned out, replaced linoleum, replaced parts of the walls, and replaced baseboards. This required us to be out of the home for a day, which was not met with mirth and merriment.)
The good news is that accusations that my pregnant olfactory senses are on overdrive are erroneous. I might be more sensitive, but I'm accurate.
Moments ago, within 1/2 hour of the fleeing plumber, I received a call from our housing maintenance dept. to ask about my customer satisfaction with this "ticket". I hope that poor soul gets some positive feedback because all I can think about is my unborn baby's incidental contact with spores of unknown danger (okay, that's way more dramatic than I'm actually feeling)...all I can imagine is another day of trying to reconfigure Charlie's in-home therapies to another location and finding a day/time that the Family Crab will not need to be in our home. In my personal -- and loathsomely inaccurate -- crystal ball, Aunt Patty Cake flies back and we take the kids to Disneyland for a night while all the nasty spores suffer a violent eradication. Also in my Fantasy Camp, since I'm writing the script, our housing office reimburses me what a night at the "Navy Lodge" would cost. Ha, now I've become a comedy writer!
Programming the Replacement of the Replacement Universal Remote~ Frustrating and Foiled Again. Turns out, now that I endured a Wal-Mart trek to procure another remote, that more than 64 internet posters agree: Trutech (TM) is wicked, evil, and does not promulgate its TV/DVD codes. So my choice is keep on trying until I land on the 4-digit sequence that works. (Maybe I have a future in the Human Genome Project as other-than-a-donor?) Think world's worst game of Mastermind(TM). The model was discontinued 2 months ago so, naturally, it is not available online. Moreover, Trutech's own website does not show accessories available for this model. I suppose the other obvious choice is to lumber across the room the "old-fashioned" way. Argh!
Admittedly, my commentary today is skewed (to the glass-half-empty) by Charlie's coughing party from 3-5:45 a.m. It took me about 2 hours of tossing/turning/irritation to overcome my inertia and just administer the asthma meds already, so I suppose I can only legitimately whine about 45-minutes of sleep deprivation. Just think of the whining I'll have up my sleeve by September! Won't this be a fun, insightful blog then!?
Tonight the Crab Family and a sitter are supposedly attending the Nationals @ the Padres on tix supplied by the Armed Services YMCA to feast upon free burgers n' sodas. Will depend on Charlie's coughing status, the weather forecast, Tim's mood, and my energy level. Odds of going: 50/50 as of 11:41 a.m.

No comments:
Post a Comment