Saturday, June 6, 2009

OOO~ Friday & Saturday: A couple of wins and a string of fails.

WIN. 34.5 pounds of baby girl hand-me-downs for my anonymous sister-in-law, of which there are four possibilities. More specifically, a 34.5-pound box that is no longer in my livingroom.
This shot better captures the size. GMK was instructed to stand there for size comparison purposes but, as it turns out, is substantially cuter in her hip sparkly t-shirt than a UPS-bound parcel. For the record, GMK was uber cute anyway ... counting as a bonus WIN. Castle regulars note that she always glows when there's a Castle-Improvement Project to handle.

FAIL. UPS took FIFTY minutes because I arrived four minutes after a man shipping 6 50 pound parcels to Oh, Canada. International shipping is a sand.

FAIL. Swung by AAA Club to deal with our nearly-expired CR-V tags. Forgot to fill in all the blanks for Combat Crab's PDF form but that didn't matter as I forgot to bring my Power of Attorney and the piece of paper from the DMV. Big, fat do-over.

Win/Fail (aka, a "draw"). GMK and I took my drooping, inefficient self to TJ Maxx for a little shopping excursion. Win in that I scored some clearance board books and socks for Lucy and underwear for Charlie and big-brimmed hat for Jamie. Fail in that my blood pressure could barely take the trifecta of: 1. a ridiculously dumb-shell customer in front of me demanding price reductions with an ever-growing line and then demanding to speak to the manager and throwing in expletives; 2. another customer getting in line behind us with 2 (TWO) non-service dogs on super-duper long leashes (nothing against dogs, but I don't allow my children to nuzzle other customers or their strollers and I possess zero evidence there was flea control being used...or regular grooming); and 3. of 3 clerks, 1 was helping the PITA customer, 1 was mostly doing returns-only (even without any returns), and 1 decided to abandon his post "for five minutes".


Fast-forward to the afternoon when Charlie's in-home tutor showed me that he'd broken the pull off of his window blinds as well as displaying her sophisticated fix-it of scotch (TM) tape. Nice effort and yet, a FAIL.


Minutes later, here's Tim (post-upsetment). He's not the FAIL -- but that fist-sized hole in the drywall in the background sure is.

Then there was a flail over Blockbuster rentals. The store wouldn't answer its phone (only a Friday late afternoon). So we gathered some up and drove there after much searching. The FAIL was that we'd had the pile 30-minutes before going to the store. Sure enough, the "lost" (i.e., "must find") title was returned the previous week.

Upon my return home, I was met at the driveway by my babysitter stating that there had been a huge gust of wind and that the market umbrella had broken. Rather, to be more specific, I returned home to said sitter standing in the front of the house trying to stow the umbrella (a two-person job once the umbrella was separated from its pole by a gust of wind).
FAIL. Big FAIL. Bought it from QVC but have no paperwork. Well, I have the assembly instructions and 1/2 of the hardware. After an exhaustive outdoor search of mulch and patio, we are still missing a spring and 2 other metal pieces, post-gust. FAIL.FAIL.FAIL.
Earlier in the afternoon, before the Fail-Streak commenced, Jamie and I (and LLGA) took about 2 months' worth of California Redemption Value stamped recyclables to get MONEY (vice just sticking them in our big blue bins). After about 20 minutes of sorting and sweating and listening to LLGA fuss, we had filled 5 big garbage bins. Jamie had bet we'd get between $15 and $25 since I'd taken the $25 to $35 range. $22.64 in lieu of an allowance. WIN for being green. WIN for teaching son value of effort. FAIL for losing the bet to a 10-year-old. FAIL for probably not getting the full CRV dollars.
Finally, a WIN-WIN. Win in that GMK made dinner without engaging in deliberation and put it on clever crabby plates. Big win in that such flank steak was incredibly tasty and satisfying. Yum!

WIN. GMK insisted that I join some neighbors in the cul-de-sac around the FirePit. Left slumbering LLGA and arrived about 9:45. Returned by 11 p.m. and LLGA had slept.


WIN. Cute shoes.
Seriously, they are pretty cute shoes. Ever-so-slight FAIL in that after 15 minutes LLGA started fussing. They are too tight. Nevertheless, a Win for some lucky hand-me-down recipient.

I've already memorialized the Win/Loss of Little League. Upon returning home, as I pulled into the driveway, Charlie ate some type of vegetation or dirt (or perhaps an earthen-flora cocktail) while the sitter's focus was on Tim. I was a bit berserk when I saw that Charlie was digging holes in the lawn around the tree after Housing has been seriously trying to get our yard in decent shape ahead of the draconian water shortage guidance that is ordered.

That doesn't touch the berserk when Jack, told to bring Charlie inside, walked Charlie in horribly muddy shoes down the hall and into the somewhat-tidy bathroom. Mud EVERYWHERE. Of course the carpet is already so worn that the mud is hardly obvious in this photo.



Thankfully, Darrin stopped by for a Darrin Visit. WIN.

2 comments:

liz said...

Holy cow, that is one ginormous box. Thank you so so so much in advance! We appreciate all the effort you, GMK, and others involved (including original wearers) have put into washing, boxing, shipping, and schlepping...Hal is wearing his beloved Elmo CA pajamas tonight and looking JUST cute enough to make repeated bed escape attempts without too much protest from his parents. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! -- Patty Liz & co

wife of crabby sand crab said...

Readers:

Please note that the sister-in-law in question was not defined by the Crab Queen.