Thursday, June 11, 2009
Near-miss in the Castle (again)
Last night, Charlie attempted to be electrocuted by his AAC (augmentative and alternate communication) device -- aka, his talker.
Blood-curdling scream. Wild trembling. Pain in his hand, especially right index finger. Bright red spot on top of his foot. My baby!
He was operating his device in accordance with its manufacturer's instructions, which Charlie-boy cannot read but the CQ can. It indicated that it was okay to use with A/C adaptor (as the batteries were low).
From what I can piece together through one eyewitness (the somewhat unreliable J-crab, Sr) and forensic evidence (A/C adaptor has a loose metal part in it that should be on the device itself), I believe Charlie put too much force on the A/C connection and an arc occurred.
Lots of hollering. Lots of pandemonium -- not just Charlie-boy, but the entire household was in rare, pre-Crab return form. Not our finest moment, but he appears no worse for the wear this morning.
Naval Crab, get thee home.
Blood-curdling scream. Wild trembling. Pain in his hand, especially right index finger. Bright red spot on top of his foot. My baby!
He was operating his device in accordance with its manufacturer's instructions, which Charlie-boy cannot read but the CQ can. It indicated that it was okay to use with A/C adaptor (as the batteries were low).
From what I can piece together through one eyewitness (the somewhat unreliable J-crab, Sr) and forensic evidence (A/C adaptor has a loose metal part in it that should be on the device itself), I believe Charlie put too much force on the A/C connection and an arc occurred.
Lots of hollering. Lots of pandemonium -- not just Charlie-boy, but the entire household was in rare, pre-Crab return form. Not our finest moment, but he appears no worse for the wear this morning.
Naval Crab, get thee home.

2 comments:
I am amazed and want to praise your internal fortitude for NOT taking him to the doctor, ER, or any other medical provider. I feel like your making progress on letting go
KIKI
FYI - Ty's trial PRC ECO shorted out, arcing in MY hand the other day; after that, it wouldn't turn on. I freaked out and then called PRC who non-chalantly (and successfully) instructed me thru the reset process! Crisis resolved, phew! Must be faulty electronics...grrr!
Post a Comment