Friday, June 12, 2009

Noble Eagle #1714-0196 has left that pattern and arrived in ours.

I can report it is infinitely easier to gain gate access for dinnertime arrivals. There was no line at Delta. There was no security line. There was no crowd at the gate. It was easy, except for my moment of weakness that allowed the J-crabs to accompany me. They did not let down the Cause of Grab-fanny!


She was asleep when we arrived, but as you will see that didn't last through security, when I had to remove her from the stroller, collapse the stroller one-handed with the 25-pounder in the other hand and then careen into the side of the metal detector. CQ didn't know that brushing against the detector triggered the alarm and the hostile gaze of the TSA agent. Thought bubble above him clearly read, "Are you NEW on the planet?" Once more with feeling. Another special moment involved the J-crabs trying to remove my booties for me. Both at the same time.


We reached the parking lot and had a lecture on the H1N1 Virus and the importance of keeping our grabby claws to our ownselves. We still used 1/3 of a mini travel bottle during our brief foray into the airport. We left this sign in the van as we'd been notified that it could be perceived negatively. It did take 411.5 days to earn this day.


Sports nirvana beckoned the young J-crabs into a BAR. I could see the liquor license police busting this establishment for allowing 2 juveniles to watch ESPN's Baseball Tonight and the NBA play-offs.


Couldn't pass up this shot. (Get it? SHOT?!)


How many times can you pace the terminal before someone wants OUT of her stroller?


The fine print:
"Back to the States. Back to the Navy. Back to us."





Waiting, waiting, waiting...the ground crew waved at LLGA and the J-crabs. Jamie remarked that it seemed like they didn't have much to do and that it was a pity none of them had brought a Nintendo DS to play on during their "down-time".


FINALLY!


If the Naval Crab couldn't see the signage, the ground crew and cockpit crew did!

It took forever from the 6:23 p.m. "on time" arrival proclaimed at Gate 41 to the actual 7:16 p.m. de-planing.








When Ben and I looked at this shot after the fact, I asked, "Is he flashing a surfer-dude sign or cheering on the Texas Longhorns?"
Ben said, rather drolly, "I'm pretty sure he's giving the Devil Sign."
::sigh::




This sequence depicts LLGA's cool greeting of Papa Crab. Nice to know she's developmentally on-track regarding "stranger anxiety". ::sigh::


Note to self -- strike that, REMINDER to self: Children do not take flattering angle photographs.


Jamie giggled, "TEE-HEE, I cut off Daddy's head."

The all-important rear-end shot of the CQ. Thank you very much, J-Crabs.

A nice passenger snapped this photo.

---

Jack and Ben went to baggage claim, futilely. After 30 minutes (during which time, I nursed LLGA and chatted w/ Ben's mom via cell), we departed. We reached the parking pay-station exactly one minute past the $4.50 rate and one minute into the $7.50 rate...Why, yes, I did protesteth and only because the Naval Crab was next to me did the booth clerk have mercy and appeal to her supervisor...Cha-ching. $3 saved). We applied that $3 to my avgolemono soup at Cafe Athena, having Jack run in with the credit card so that Ben could be welcomed home with a delicious Mediterranean feast.

---

Charlie was too excited for eye contact!





Even the Big Sled Dog stayed awake to see Dad -- an hour past his bedtime!



I am presenting my leave chit for immediate signature ... the CQ's "R and R" commences asap!

1 comment:

Erin said...

upon my 3rd view of this post I finally had to post something. I love this series of pictures and am so happy that Ben is finally (sigh) home.

YAY!!!