Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pity, Party of 1 ... Seating is now available.

So now I remember the real bummer part of this whole Navy/IA nonsense. Solitude is one thing, loneliness is a whole different deal. How can she be lonely, a reader could reasonably ponder, as she is never alone.

. . . . .

Ended up with the nurse at the Naval Hospital calling back and saying that Lucy "absolutely" needs to be seen today. Could I come at noon and just wait to be worked in? Or did I want a 1:35 p.m. appointment? (Where previously I had been told none existed). Opting for the latter, I took Tim in all his glory * and, against idealism, left J-crabs with Charlie & left the neighbors' numbers plastered to their collective, figurative foreheads.

First stop, since I am always early, was to fetch (trip number 4) the elusive M-tab Risperdal for the big sled dog. Not-smart pharmacy rep commented upon handing me that Big Brown Grocery Bag that I "should check more carefully in the future" which prompted me to look her dead in the eye and say, (and I quote), "You really shouldn't have said that out loud...to me...today." And proceeded to ream her that this was our FOURTH trip and who should have known to check -- me when they couldn't approve it but put in the computer that I'd picked it up (!); my IA spouse who was doing a pick-up having been out of the loop for 8 months (?); or maybe my mom who was retrieving a ton of meds (3 with previous pharmacy errors) (?!?). OR maybe the folks FILLING the Rx and taking a paycheck to do so. Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner!

Next stop, a painfully long wait for Dr. Skin Issue. Lucy was 19 lbs. 15 oz. this time so clearly her issue is not costing her significant weight loss! Called the J-crabs and learned that Charlie had gone potty in the potty chair. Go, J-crabs. Didn't miss the irony of that factoid. While waiting, Lucy had another episode (through her cute red pants). Sadly, the Queen did not plan out the presto-change-o outfits so she went into peach floral bottoms with a red Aborigine-print top. When finally examined, Dr. R--h confirmed that she looks perfectly great except for that concern she's here about. Oh, and a yeasty diaper rash (think he must love when that's a dx). Confirmed that it was indeed blood. Took a culture and said it's gastroenteritis unless something impressive grows in the next 48 hours in the lab and advised that I need to be "very vigilant". Geez...I'm already too vigilant. Return for any more blood, any fever, or if she's "fussy".

Off to the pharmacy to deal with the blasted rash cream. Not in the system, but she was shrieking so I picked her up to discover a second episode involving the mismatched attire and the carseat cover (ugh) and returned to Peds to inquire about where-is-the-Rx and use their changing tables. Tim is now not just in glory but ramped up.

Washed up and returned again to the pharmacy and retrieved the med after about 10-minutes' wait but by now, Tim has gone south and I can barely stay inside my skin.

Drove home through tears. Once home, Jack gave me a hug at the CR-V door. Nothing like a little empathy from someone supposedly challenged to provide empathy to bring on the fountain.

Attacked TONS of laundry, changed three diapers in less than 7 minutes, and started tackling everything else that accompanies a regular weekend exercise in joy, fun, and delight. Jack came up to me and nodded in a solemn way but with a twinkle in his eye to say, "Mom, the way you came home...well, that wasn't GREAT." (This is a scene from 30 Rock, which he is obsessed with -- most inappropriately). But it did make me laugh.

And tomorrow the IHSS social worker comes to lay eyes upon Tim and Charlie. And the piles and piles of stuff sitting around the livingroom that I meant to get to today (or yesterday, when Darrin swung by for a surprise, several-hours-long visit). I already asked and was consoled that he (IHSS social worker dude) would not report us to CPS for not having replaced Tim's broken bed yet. Apparently, it's all about WHERE the mattress is residing. Mattress on the floor of a bedroom is fine. Mattress on the floor of a garage is NOT.

. . . . .

Anyway, lonely is having no other driver. Lonely is being the only SOB able to medicate the young people. Lonely is facing "Mo's choice": which kid's needs will be met with the limited resources available. Lonely is having to depend on non-family. Lonely is having to cancel yet another social mini-engagement planned for tomorrow. (Missed Hot chocolate, coffee, and now early lunch). I also learned that Lonely does not respond well to the word, "wallow".

Tomorrow will be another day. Hopefully, Lonely will check out by noon from the Castle.

* Today's version of Tim-in-all-his-glory was about 5,237 recitations of earning 2 (TwO) special treats (whatever) for mild behavior. Clearly, mild behavior is synonymous with Death-by-Question. Pair this up with random verbal outbursts in the middle of a waiting room populated by exactly 3 other patients (median age 72-hours) issued by a husky, puberty-voiced, hairy-legged chap wearing sweatpants, white socks and leather slide-on slippers. It was a LOOK. Oh, wait, lest I forget, today's unusual motor sequence was to cross his leg, run his fingers across the sole of his "shoe" (slipper), and then touch his lip. The sole that had trod across the hospital. Ew-factor was spiking!

No comments: