Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Jack's Exciting Morning

My version @ 9:37 a.m.:

The phone rings.
I answer.

The voice on the other end butchers my name.
I agree to be the variation on my real name in the interest of brevity and from sheer exhaustion at educating the population.

Now I quote,
"There's been a school bus accident with your son on board. They are waiting for police to come check everyone out so they are not at school yet."

Me: "WHOA! Stop! Please start over from the top and let's add in who you are and what school you are calling from since I have 3 sons on various bus routes this morning."

Caller: "Um, I'm from Standley. Your son would be John?"

Me: "Oh, Jack...he's okay then?" [Ed. note: Obviously, were Tim or Charlie stuck somewhere on the side of the road I'd have flown into Action.]

Caller: "It was just a fender-bender. Supposedly, no one is hurt."

Me: "Would it be possible -- when Jack does arrive at school -- for him to call and just check in with me?"

Caller: "Doesn't he have a cell phone?"

[Ed. rhetorical note: If he had a cell phone, wouldn't he have called and told me about the accident?!]

[Ed. rhetorical note #2: If he had a cell phone, couldn't I call him myownself and determine his condition and whereabouts?!]

Me: "No. He does not and therefore, I'm asking whether someone could pass a message to him."

Caller: "Okay."

==============================================

My version @ 12:06 p.m., still having heard NOTHING from Jack:

I call the school office.
"This is Jack's mom. He was on the school bus that had the 'fender-bender'. I'm wondering if he's reached school YET?"

Office: "Yes."

Heart-warming.

=============================================

Jack's version @ 1:51 p.m.:

My portion of the dialogue appears in italics.
We were on Mission Bay Drive heading to the 5-North. Suddenly, we hear this big "bonk". Turned out to be a guy driving a blue car that now has a dent in the front. We happened to be rear-ended. We were parallel to In n' Out. No one was hurt but the guy's car was hurt and the guy didn't even say he was sorry to us.

How fast were you going?
5 miles per hour.

What time did this happen?
Before 8:30 a.m.

What time did you arrive at school?
9:40 a.m.

Did you call me?
No, the phone wasn't working in the office. I needed to get to English. And you know how I am -- I am NOT going to miss Band. Because if I'm late to Band, I might not get to go to Disneyland!!

momentary silence

Can I play Wii?

No!

But I was in a car accident!

No comments: