Friday, January 23, 2009

MOTY, bullet point for my nomination

As previously noted, IHSS worker was sick, leaving us one respite worker (who is incapable/unwilling/inflexible about keeping an eye on more than one person w/ autism at a time). Sooooo, I dosed Charlie up on Tylenol and loaded him into the van together with LLGA, Jack, and Jack's French horn/music.

Away we went under the cloak of darkness. LLGA decided that she'd LOSE HER MIND the entire 24-minute drive. That was a real tension-releaser for Jack (not). She sounded absolutely terrified/hurting by the time I pulled up at the middle school site. Off-loaded Jack like we were an ambulance ... baby wailing, the van (remember, lacking 1/2 its hubcaps for that oh-so-special pathetic look) off-kilter in an illegal parking position, and me hissing at Jack "go...go...go!" I mean we looked BAD. The other kids were walking in neat lines with parental escorts and it was WAY too quiet for an A------n arrival.

But it gets better...Charlie decided that he was "sca-wed" in the very back bench seat and ended up in the front captain's chair, goofing around. (I think I saw him licking the window, but I declined to investigate as I was nursing the baby from the driver's seat, having relocated the Windstar to a legitimate parking stall). 45-minutes in the dark (because the Windstar's battery is suspect, I didn't feel we could run the map lights) with whining tykes was bad enough, but then Charlie announced, "Need to go to potty!" A quick survey of my environs indicated that the silently awaiting folks would notice if I tried to have him pee anywhere but in an authorized restroom. Plus, the grassy area was fenced off for construction project! My anti-MOTY response was to tell him, "You're in a pull-up and you've peed your pants a dozen times today already...we are not traipsing out to find a nasty toilet." To soften this initial response, I pointed out that there was a skid-steer (mini construction equipment) "Isn't that FUN?"

Jack returned with the news that he'd done fine and had, in fact, let a kid on crutches who arrived late for his audition go first. (WHILE I SUFFERED IN THE VAN). Jack's take was, "I think I looked like a nice guy." (IF YOU CANNOT LOOK LIKE A GOOD FRENCH HORN PLAYER). 3 horns tried out so we should find out if this was worth the agony either today or Monday at the latest.

En route home, know that I earned a trip through Krispy Kreme drive-thru!!! KK, it had been too long.

2 comments:

Patty SW said...

Would this be the equivalent to dressing your 6-year-old like a skank?

wife of crabby sand crab said...

This is transporting your 12-y-o like a whack-job!! :-)