Thursday, January 22, 2009
Exercise in Random Thinking.
I was challenged by a friend to list 25 personal facts, opinions, or thoughts today. I achieved Randomness (it's a forte of mine) but didn't go too deep because of course this is the Castle. Perhaps you may be interested in trying the same.
In no particular order:
1. I am enjoying catching up with so many folks [via Facebook...Uncle Mike, breathe] that I'd "lost" over the years, the miles, and the adventures.
2. I truly relish finding that despite #1, most folks haven't changed that much.
3. That internet ad for classmates.com (or whatever .com) where it shows cheesy 1980s-photos of 2 teenagers and then says, "They're married?! And they have FIVE kids?!" is causing me not a little stress that one of these days my horrible senior photo will flash (along with my hubby's likewise spectacular high school portrait) with the accompanying text.
4. A group of beach-folks in a mom & pop doughnut shop [yes, Kiki, it was Linda's Doughnuts] saw me with my brood and one of them exclaimed, "You look like Sarah Palin!" and my thoughts were a. my glasses do rock, b. I've been wearing my hair like this for at least a decade of child-rearing, and c. wish I were that tiny. By then, three other people chimed in "you do...you do". So I had to snatch my big-girl dozen and flee the premises.
5. It has been months since I slept more than 3 hours in a stretch. And I don't even mind that much. Which suggests a worrisome level of functional, chronic sleep deprivation.
6. I fear that people forget how many civil rights -- not to mention everyday freedoms -- that those who serve in our nation's Armed Forces sacrifice.
7. DELETED FOR PRIVACY REASONS BY APC.
8. If Starbucks discontinues the Salted Carmel Signature Hot Chocolate, then I'm going to be v. disappointed. There, I admit it, I have sunk so low as to fret about future access to my chocolate-in-a-collar drink.
9. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have taken at least one Child Development course at Northwestern. Way more pertinent than "Sociology of Sex Roles", although that one did have the bonus of creating parental stress. The only "B" that warranted no parental inquiry and that may indeed have been cheerfully accepted by my dad.
10. I cringe when people say, "They'll be out of the house before you know it" because they've obviously missed the cold fact that not all of my people will be following the "typical" path to independent living.
11. One of the things I am proudest of is that my eldest (for whom so much is so challenging) enjoys Catholic Mass with an attitude far more befitting an old-fashioned revival tent. I'm glad he likes the ritual, the music, and the congregating.
12. I derive a great deal of joy from watching my 5-y-o draw and write. Only 3 years ago this month, he had brain surgery and that was just the worst.
13. Shopping for girls' clothing -- though I denied it for 14 years -- is exponentially more fun than shopping for boys' clothing.
14. The corollary is, however, that shopping for girls' toys is not as satisfying. There's just some things that don't need to be lavender.
15. No matter how many recipes I clip or foodie articles I read, I need to embrace the reality that the best thing you can say about my meal preparation skills is that I am incredibly careful about avoiding food-borne illness (fbi). Flavor, tenderness, originality, and presentation all pretty much require more attention and time than I am willing to devote.
16. I find non-fiction reads preferable to fiction. Can't decide whether fiction is too fictitious for me or whether non-fiction is just more reliable. Ergo, I'm a nightmare to have in a book club.
17. With a military family that specializes in 2-block moves (vice cross-country or trans-oceanic ones), I would like to register that always waving good-bye from my yard is pretty high on the suck-meter.
18. Without IKEA, my house would be largely devoid of furniture. Without Target, I would be a consumer deprived of a cheery venue of consumerism.
19. I would like to return to school for doctoral studies. Then I look around and think that I have a Ph.D. in many things (for instance, the philosophy of Laundry) and besides there's that irksome issue of finding references.
20. If you're feeling low, try zydeco.
21. The Sweet Potato Queens were not kidding about the necessity of having a Guy in one's life Who Can Fix Things.
22. If diaper-changing was an Olympic sport, I'd qualify. I'm that fast.
23. I can still beat my sons at h-o-r-s-e but fear my days doing so are numbered.
24. I feel very blessed that my family has been so supportive of us. My mother, aside from some annoying habits and tendency to critique my parenting, forfeited the frozen prairie (and her big daddy woo-woo) to stay with us and my sister has been out for extended visits 3 -- maybe 4 -- times in the last year.
25. One of these years I hope to fly to some far-away port call and meet Ben there. See #24. :-)
In no particular order:
1. I am enjoying catching up with so many folks [via Facebook...Uncle Mike, breathe] that I'd "lost" over the years, the miles, and the adventures.
2. I truly relish finding that despite #1, most folks haven't changed that much.
3. That internet ad for classmates.com (or whatever .com) where it shows cheesy 1980s-photos of 2 teenagers and then says, "They're married?! And they have FIVE kids?!" is causing me not a little stress that one of these days my horrible senior photo will flash (along with my hubby's likewise spectacular high school portrait) with the accompanying text.
4. A group of beach-folks in a mom & pop doughnut shop [yes, Kiki, it was Linda's Doughnuts] saw me with my brood and one of them exclaimed, "You look like Sarah Palin!" and my thoughts were a. my glasses do rock, b. I've been wearing my hair like this for at least a decade of child-rearing, and c. wish I were that tiny. By then, three other people chimed in "you do...you do". So I had to snatch my big-girl dozen and flee the premises.
5. It has been months since I slept more than 3 hours in a stretch. And I don't even mind that much. Which suggests a worrisome level of functional, chronic sleep deprivation.
6. I fear that people forget how many civil rights -- not to mention everyday freedoms -- that those who serve in our nation's Armed Forces sacrifice.
7. DELETED FOR PRIVACY REASONS BY APC.
8. If Starbucks discontinues the Salted Carmel Signature Hot Chocolate, then I'm going to be v. disappointed. There, I admit it, I have sunk so low as to fret about future access to my chocolate-in-a-collar drink.
9. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have taken at least one Child Development course at Northwestern. Way more pertinent than "Sociology of Sex Roles", although that one did have the bonus of creating parental stress. The only "B" that warranted no parental inquiry and that may indeed have been cheerfully accepted by my dad.
10. I cringe when people say, "They'll be out of the house before you know it" because they've obviously missed the cold fact that not all of my people will be following the "typical" path to independent living.
11. One of the things I am proudest of is that my eldest (for whom so much is so challenging) enjoys Catholic Mass with an attitude far more befitting an old-fashioned revival tent. I'm glad he likes the ritual, the music, and the congregating.
12. I derive a great deal of joy from watching my 5-y-o draw and write. Only 3 years ago this month, he had brain surgery and that was just the worst.
13. Shopping for girls' clothing -- though I denied it for 14 years -- is exponentially more fun than shopping for boys' clothing.
14. The corollary is, however, that shopping for girls' toys is not as satisfying. There's just some things that don't need to be lavender.
15. No matter how many recipes I clip or foodie articles I read, I need to embrace the reality that the best thing you can say about my meal preparation skills is that I am incredibly careful about avoiding food-borne illness (fbi). Flavor, tenderness, originality, and presentation all pretty much require more attention and time than I am willing to devote.
16. I find non-fiction reads preferable to fiction. Can't decide whether fiction is too fictitious for me or whether non-fiction is just more reliable. Ergo, I'm a nightmare to have in a book club.
17. With a military family that specializes in 2-block moves (vice cross-country or trans-oceanic ones), I would like to register that always waving good-bye from my yard is pretty high on the suck-meter.
18. Without IKEA, my house would be largely devoid of furniture. Without Target, I would be a consumer deprived of a cheery venue of consumerism.
19. I would like to return to school for doctoral studies. Then I look around and think that I have a Ph.D. in many things (for instance, the philosophy of Laundry) and besides there's that irksome issue of finding references.
20. If you're feeling low, try zydeco.
21. The Sweet Potato Queens were not kidding about the necessity of having a Guy in one's life Who Can Fix Things.
22. If diaper-changing was an Olympic sport, I'd qualify. I'm that fast.
23. I can still beat my sons at h-o-r-s-e but fear my days doing so are numbered.
24. I feel very blessed that my family has been so supportive of us. My mother, aside from some annoying habits and tendency to critique my parenting, forfeited the frozen prairie (and her big daddy woo-woo) to stay with us and my sister has been out for extended visits 3 -- maybe 4 -- times in the last year.
25. One of these years I hope to fly to some far-away port call and meet Ben there. See #24. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment