Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Mother of the Year '09...It's not too early to get started!
Last night I bundled my offspring (and GMK) into 2 vehicles and went to St. B's. That's right. At night. With Tim. With Charlie. With those other 2 crablets and LLGA. Not for Mass but for something more holier (as in WHOLLY CRAZY)-- the Parish Directory Portrait.
What a cluster! My people couldn't keep their paws off of one another while we awaited some kind of bizarre Catholic Glamour Shots by the artistic Louie for a lovely family-of-four (none of whom have autism) to finish up. Of course, I was feeling very claustrophobic as I tried to corral the kids away from the sales-in-progress family unit, out of eyesight of the Glamour Shots ensemble, and out of the way of the middle-aged couple that came, dressed to the nines, to fill the unfortunate slot immediately behind our Train Wreck. In addition, I had to engage with the Directory Rep (who unbeknownst to me would be our photographer) about the necessity (it is the CATHOLIC Church) noting that Ben was not pictured because he was "deployed". As in -- and I quote -- "Really, I want the directory to read 'deployed'."
The A-------n-style Glamour Shots session consisted of 12 flashes in stacatto (I'd guess less than 8 minutes total elapsed time, including positioning for 2 poses) as our poor photographer -- not Louie -- tried to arrange said children who, with the exception of Lucy, couldn't stop wriggling around. Tim kept touching Jack's head. Jack kept whacking him. Jamie and Charlie kept falling off of their respective foam tower pedestals. And everyone was supposed to have a hand on their mother...like I would "ground" them....PAH! Oh, and I was supposed to have my feet up on this wobbling block, with Lucy on my lap. Granted, it was 6:20 p.m. and this is by no means a routine event -- but STILL.
Meanwhile, GMK (who luckily volunteered to come and take Tim out of the mix immediately after the portraits were taken so that I could focus on the selection of the winning shot, etc.) was asked to 1. stand behind the photographer so that the dozen eyeballs would not wander to her; and 2. to use a plush lamb to attract the attention of Lucy. Within, oh say, three flashes, THAT plan was discarded in favor of the photographer snatching the lamb away from GMK and planting it on her own head.
I will not bore you with the joy of purchasing the photo other than to say that the out-takes would have been pure comedy had I the guts to select one for the directory. Within a few weeks I'll post the fruit of our combined labors.
What a cluster! My people couldn't keep their paws off of one another while we awaited some kind of bizarre Catholic Glamour Shots by the artistic Louie for a lovely family-of-four (none of whom have autism) to finish up. Of course, I was feeling very claustrophobic as I tried to corral the kids away from the sales-in-progress family unit, out of eyesight of the Glamour Shots ensemble, and out of the way of the middle-aged couple that came, dressed to the nines, to fill the unfortunate slot immediately behind our Train Wreck. In addition, I had to engage with the Directory Rep (who unbeknownst to me would be our photographer) about the necessity (it is the CATHOLIC Church) noting that Ben was not pictured because he was "deployed". As in -- and I quote -- "Really, I want the directory to read 'deployed'."
The A-------n-style Glamour Shots session consisted of 12 flashes in stacatto (I'd guess less than 8 minutes total elapsed time, including positioning for 2 poses) as our poor photographer -- not Louie -- tried to arrange said children who, with the exception of Lucy, couldn't stop wriggling around. Tim kept touching Jack's head. Jack kept whacking him. Jamie and Charlie kept falling off of their respective foam tower pedestals. And everyone was supposed to have a hand on their mother...like I would "ground" them....PAH! Oh, and I was supposed to have my feet up on this wobbling block, with Lucy on my lap. Granted, it was 6:20 p.m. and this is by no means a routine event -- but STILL.
Meanwhile, GMK (who luckily volunteered to come and take Tim out of the mix immediately after the portraits were taken so that I could focus on the selection of the winning shot, etc.) was asked to 1. stand behind the photographer so that the dozen eyeballs would not wander to her; and 2. to use a plush lamb to attract the attention of Lucy. Within, oh say, three flashes, THAT plan was discarded in favor of the photographer snatching the lamb away from GMK and planting it on her own head.
I will not bore you with the joy of purchasing the photo other than to say that the out-takes would have been pure comedy had I the guts to select one for the directory. Within a few weeks I'll post the fruit of our combined labors.

1 comment:
Who'da thunk photography counts as "the Lord's work"?
Giggling myself silly (in my head),
Me :)
Post a Comment