Friday, January 16, 2009
Hear ye, hear ye~
It has not been well-publicized, but the Crab Queen has been "ner-fuss-ly" awaiting a Board meeting. It was last night.
At our previous meeting (2 months ago), 2 people I respect were besmirched and my own conduct was maligned. There I sat, muted by a combination of Robert's Rules of Order and my utter astoundment that educated, professional people would act in such a brazen dismissal of decorum, courtesy and good manners. My dad would chime in that "asses (well, you get the idea) come in every gender, denomination, etc." Yet after years of hearing that (as well as the punch line: "I don't care who you are, that's funny" though not applied to the same topics), one would think I'd be less surprised and yet, despite my strong cynical streak, apparently I believe everyone will play by the rules.
Anyway, after much agonizing I decided to address our group. Be it known that while the CQ blogs away, she tends to shy away from public speaking. So, given that I'd be juggling Lucy, still slightly numb from dental work that afternoon and a bit light-headed from lack of sustenance (see dental work), I typed up remarks.
And then, at about 7:30 p.m. I read them, sucking the oxygen from not one conference room, but our teleconference location in Imperial Valley. Everyone was looking at their toes after an overall "shame on you" for behaviors followed by a mini-monologue about my CV and reasons for being there. I was shaking like a leaf and my voice was quavering but I got through it.
The great news is that, much like when I played varsity HS basketball 2 decades ago, after I hit the deck/touched the ball/etc., the stage fright was over.
And then it was on like Donkey Kong.
The remainder of the meeting was one victory after another. People finally seemed to realize that my nemesis (actually plural nemesii??) was detracting from our purpose and that there was another (less whack-a-doodle) side to the story.
Shut down unilateral and unendorsed representation of our group.
Shut down a nomination from the floor that would have ruined the slate my committee had worked so hard to develop.
Shut down at least part of an effort to heap more fresh nastiness on our Director.
To my nemesises (?), "Suck it, monkeys!"
To the several good folks who supported my painful thinking and writing and revision process, I am so grateful for your counsel.
crab queen out.
At our previous meeting (2 months ago), 2 people I respect were besmirched and my own conduct was maligned. There I sat, muted by a combination of Robert's Rules of Order and my utter astoundment that educated, professional people would act in such a brazen dismissal of decorum, courtesy and good manners. My dad would chime in that "asses (well, you get the idea) come in every gender, denomination, etc." Yet after years of hearing that (as well as the punch line: "I don't care who you are, that's funny" though not applied to the same topics), one would think I'd be less surprised and yet, despite my strong cynical streak, apparently I believe everyone will play by the rules.
Anyway, after much agonizing I decided to address our group. Be it known that while the CQ blogs away, she tends to shy away from public speaking. So, given that I'd be juggling Lucy, still slightly numb from dental work that afternoon and a bit light-headed from lack of sustenance (see dental work), I typed up remarks.
And then, at about 7:30 p.m. I read them, sucking the oxygen from not one conference room, but our teleconference location in Imperial Valley. Everyone was looking at their toes after an overall "shame on you" for behaviors followed by a mini-monologue about my CV and reasons for being there. I was shaking like a leaf and my voice was quavering but I got through it.
The great news is that, much like when I played varsity HS basketball 2 decades ago, after I hit the deck/touched the ball/etc., the stage fright was over.
And then it was on like Donkey Kong.
The remainder of the meeting was one victory after another. People finally seemed to realize that my nemesis (actually plural nemesii??) was detracting from our purpose and that there was another (less whack-a-doodle) side to the story.
Shut down unilateral and unendorsed representation of our group.
Shut down a nomination from the floor that would have ruined the slate my committee had worked so hard to develop.
Shut down at least part of an effort to heap more fresh nastiness on our Director.
To my nemesises (?), "Suck it, monkeys!"
To the several good folks who supported my painful thinking and writing and revision process, I am so grateful for your counsel.
crab queen out.

6 comments:
And to you Tina-hater-Sally in WI, Suck it!
Love ya :)
So glad she didn't call me out by MY state!
Auntie Awesome seems peeved at someone in WI!
I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm very proud of your use of "On like Donkey Kong"!
I am not peeved at anyone in WI. It was a play on the QC's 'suck it' comment, ripped from the 30 Rock Golden Globe wins headlines.
All the QC haters can suck it though!
SHE is awesome!
:)
agreed!
Did I mention that LLGA was awake, alert, vocalizing, playing, and at times nursing during this meeting??
Multi-tasker OUT.
Post a Comment