Friday, November 14, 2008
Some days you win, and some days you spend the day at the hospital
We (Ben's mom, LLGA, and me) took Jamie to the eye doctor yesterday morning for his follow-up to his rare eye disorder. Everything was going smoothly, which ought to have been an immediate red flag.
While waiting in the second waiting area, post numbing-drops, Jamie suddenly went ashen and asserted an immediate need for H2O. By the time he stumbled back, he started to feel nauseous. Reprising my past-life SEAL-extraction-team demeanor, he discovered himself outside the clinic with a waste basket while 2 corpsmen were running for H20 and fetching a doctor. (I did go back for LLGA -- I'd left Ben's mom in the big waiting room, due to the tiny exam rooms and extensive labyrinth of hallways).
Doctor -- married to a pediatrician -- solemnly advised that he was referring Jamie for near-fainting spells (he's had several near-misses over the past several months) downstairs for evaluation. Fast-forward 2 hours to Jamie, LLGA, and me spending another 3-hours in the peds clinic, meeting with a series of docs and Jamie getting 2EKGs for the again-evident murmur and a urine analysis (found out last night that results for the latter was normal). Grandma had been ferried home to deal with Charlie and the afternoon series of folks.
Cardiologist consulted during the afternoon and since the EKG was not illustrative of anything peculiar (while he was feeling fine), an event harness/heart monitor is being delivered today with instructions for Jamie to wear it continuously for several weeks -- except we can take it off for showers, thankfully. There's a button we press if he has an event but otherwise it wirelessly transmits the data on his ticker's performance every 24 hours to the cardiologist. Thus, when we actually have our referral appointment, there will be data to examine.
As if I wasn't worried enough before...
While waiting in the second waiting area, post numbing-drops, Jamie suddenly went ashen and asserted an immediate need for H2O. By the time he stumbled back, he started to feel nauseous. Reprising my past-life SEAL-extraction-team demeanor, he discovered himself outside the clinic with a waste basket while 2 corpsmen were running for H20 and fetching a doctor. (I did go back for LLGA -- I'd left Ben's mom in the big waiting room, due to the tiny exam rooms and extensive labyrinth of hallways).
Doctor -- married to a pediatrician -- solemnly advised that he was referring Jamie for near-fainting spells (he's had several near-misses over the past several months) downstairs for evaluation. Fast-forward 2 hours to Jamie, LLGA, and me spending another 3-hours in the peds clinic, meeting with a series of docs and Jamie getting 2EKGs for the again-evident murmur and a urine analysis (found out last night that results for the latter was normal). Grandma had been ferried home to deal with Charlie and the afternoon series of folks.
Cardiologist consulted during the afternoon and since the EKG was not illustrative of anything peculiar (while he was feeling fine), an event harness/heart monitor is being delivered today with instructions for Jamie to wear it continuously for several weeks -- except we can take it off for showers, thankfully. There's a button we press if he has an event but otherwise it wirelessly transmits the data on his ticker's performance every 24 hours to the cardiologist. Thus, when we actually have our referral appointment, there will be data to examine.
As if I wasn't worried enough before...

1 comment:
A note for Jamie:
When I first had my eyes dilated I was 45 which is to say very old from your point-of-view. Wouldn't you know that I felt faint and almost keeled over. Aunt Trish decided that it was all about losing control.
Fast forward to this morning and I'm at the eye doctor. I read the blog while in the waiting room. Then the doctor told me that I had to have a shot in my eye. That part went fine. But as I left I almost keeled over again. Water, orange juice, and some cheesy crackers saved the day.
So it happens to us big kids too.
Post a Comment