Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Notes from the Castle...
* Despite my stellar participation at IEPs galore this month, Jack arrived home with a 34/50 on his most recent math test. For the percentage-challenged (me!), that is a whopping 68% or D-as-in-dawg.
* Charlie, having fevered Friday, Saturday and Sunday rallied for the First Time in Years and is back at school today, opening the morning up for a Target Boutique run with Grandma Susan. This would be our first shopping venture of her nearly-week-long visit. And, a certain Southern-speaking woman might observe, her first escape from the Castle since Thursday at the Hospital!
* Last evening I glimpsed a pleasant, though far-away world -- a world where my Monday evenings could look like 2 J-crabs attending the same extracurricular activity at the same time -- Troop 506 Boy Scouts. The three of us and LLGA, too, attended the Open House ... the Open House I had been signed up in absentia to coordinate and the Open House from which Patty Kiki extracted me with a public plea for compassion, decency and commonsense. The two families it required to replace me did a fabulous job and I gleefully handed over 6 REI gift certificates as "guilt payment". Highlights were Jamie interacting with current, older 506 scouts with no awkwardness. He had a great time and I think may have enhanced his elder brother's coolness rating. Other highlight (only if you have the crazy-cake humor of a severely sleep-deprived new-again mom) was Jack slinking up to me with an eyebrow cattywampus to report the arrival of Cake Lady and her familia. She managed to wear a bodacious pair of floral pedal-pushers with a pack t-shirt and still avoid eye contact with me...her spouse fared only marginally better, making eye contact and issuing the merest suggestion of a nod of recognition.
* Grandma Susan has just pronounced that LLGA has "graduated"...she walked in to find me blogging and Lucy lying on the not-freshly-vacuumed carpet without benefit of a barrier-blankie. That's right, Lucy is now a "floor ornament."
* Jack was smacked down verbally by Grandma Susan when he mocked her pronunciation of the word "mature" with a hard /t/. True to her 30-years of schoolteaching, she had him look it up and he was a sad Tigger, an I-may-in-seminar-but-this-is-humiliating Tigger, and oh-boy-now-I-have-to-apologize-WITH-eye-contact Tigger. I pointed out, in an effort to avoid the near occasion of this experience, that he might want to clamp his lips when Grandma says the word "furniture". Ahhh, domestic educational bliss.
* Sadly, Tim's honeymoon with "Gramma Goofball" ended last night when he showed his proverbial ASS by being grumpy and demanding and bratty all because I was making dinner before we had childcare present. I'm a bastardette.
* On a happier note, the birth announcements ... I mean holiday cards with Lucy's birth information ... are ordered. And, Mr. Crab, I got them for 20% off. It is an early Thanksgiving miracle.
* Charlie, having fevered Friday, Saturday and Sunday rallied for the First Time in Years and is back at school today, opening the morning up for a Target Boutique run with Grandma Susan. This would be our first shopping venture of her nearly-week-long visit. And, a certain Southern-speaking woman might observe, her first escape from the Castle since Thursday at the Hospital!
* Last evening I glimpsed a pleasant, though far-away world -- a world where my Monday evenings could look like 2 J-crabs attending the same extracurricular activity at the same time -- Troop 506 Boy Scouts. The three of us and LLGA, too, attended the Open House ... the Open House I had been signed up in absentia to coordinate and the Open House from which Patty Kiki extracted me with a public plea for compassion, decency and commonsense. The two families it required to replace me did a fabulous job and I gleefully handed over 6 REI gift certificates as "guilt payment". Highlights were Jamie interacting with current, older 506 scouts with no awkwardness. He had a great time and I think may have enhanced his elder brother's coolness rating. Other highlight (only if you have the crazy-cake humor of a severely sleep-deprived new-again mom) was Jack slinking up to me with an eyebrow cattywampus to report the arrival of Cake Lady and her familia. She managed to wear a bodacious pair of floral pedal-pushers with a pack t-shirt and still avoid eye contact with me...her spouse fared only marginally better, making eye contact and issuing the merest suggestion of a nod of recognition.
* Grandma Susan has just pronounced that LLGA has "graduated"...she walked in to find me blogging and Lucy lying on the not-freshly-vacuumed carpet without benefit of a barrier-blankie. That's right, Lucy is now a "floor ornament."
* Jack was smacked down verbally by Grandma Susan when he mocked her pronunciation of the word "mature" with a hard /t/. True to her 30-years of schoolteaching, she had him look it up and he was a sad Tigger, an I-may-in-seminar-but-this-is-humiliating Tigger, and oh-boy-now-I-have-to-apologize-WITH-eye-contact Tigger. I pointed out, in an effort to avoid the near occasion of this experience, that he might want to clamp his lips when Grandma says the word "furniture". Ahhh, domestic educational bliss.
* Sadly, Tim's honeymoon with "Gramma Goofball" ended last night when he showed his proverbial ASS by being grumpy and demanding and bratty all because I was making dinner before we had childcare present. I'm a bastardette.
* On a happier note, the birth announcements ... I mean holiday cards with Lucy's birth information ... are ordered. And, Mr. Crab, I got them for 20% off. It is an early Thanksgiving miracle.

6 comments:
And, yes, one of the Cake Lady's kids (the young daughter) won the last REI gift card. It's a cruel, ironic world.
I was asked by a Patty who is this Lady of Cakes (an otherwise noble baked good category)...here is my reply for the edification of other readers:
The Cake Lady is a former cub scout leader in our pack...she left with her husband to start a pack at our church. (Yep, a fellow Catholic at St. B's). We first encountered one another when I baked a cake for the Blue & Gold cake auction in a Dr. Seuss design -- something I NEVER do is bake/frost -- and she had the audacity to relocate it behind her ridiculous and likely poisonous cake. She and I butted heads as leaders because she is all about the rules and I am all about keeping it real. She would make comments about my lack of "official" BSA training and the fact that I would (during my more rotund moments) wear my uniform shirt untucked. Think of her as my veryown Newman (a la Seinfeld).
Hoo-ray for Charlie's rally. Excited and hopeful that this will be his new trend in feverville.
I'm feelin' my inner Gerry Spence. Wait, I must grab my HAT!
Oh CAKE LADY is BACK!!!! Yee HaH!
Excuse me, KEEP IT REAL? I think the pot is calling the kettle a pot, don't you?
The BABY girl won the REI gift card that you purchased with Col. Crabs hard earned greenbacks? Ironic in the sickest of ways!
Post a Comment