Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Blockbuster excursion

Last Friday night found some of the Familia Crab in search of weekend entertainment options that could be executed within the Castle's moat.

Presumed solution: Let's rent some movies to take our minds off of our newly-realized lack of out-of-house adventures! Yay! That will be a fun outing.

Reality, part 1: I loaded up the J-crabs and LLGA and set forth in the CR-V for Video Nirvana. By the time we'd driven 5 blocks, the wah-factory was producing her very own ear-piercing widgets. Therefore, being of unsound judgment (blamed from this point forward on a paucity of REM-sleep), the Crab Queen dispatched the J-crabs with the following guidance:

1. Here are 3 mail-program DVDs. Trade them in for 3 movies -- 1 for Charlie, 1 for Tim, and 1 for you two. (IMPLYING that they could try on SHARING for size).
2. Stay together in the big, bad Blockbuster Video (TM) storefront.
3. Once you have selected movies, Jack is to get in the line with my card and the rental boxes and trade-in envelopes WHILE Jamie is to come back out to the CR-V (parked under a light outside the entrance -- not involving crossing the parking lot) and clear the titles with me.

Reality, part 2: JACK -- vice Jamie -- comes out to announce he's renting some Star Wars title with the word "clones" in it. Crab Queen, make that Uber-Crabby Queen with LLGA attached to her, spazzes out and says NO-NO-NO, that is for sure a PG-13 and you cannot rent it without me and I'm otherwise spoken for. Change it out or we leave Jamie here. (okay, didn't really threaten that last part).

Reality, part 3: Jamie makes an appearance to request permission to check out a DS game -- vice the authorized E-for-Everyone-type DVD. His request is summarily rejected for any and NO reason. He quickly hightails it back into the store to avoid the likely add-on that "NOBODY'S GETTING ANYTHING IF THIS TRANSACTION IS NOT COMPLETED PRONTO". At least by this point, I was burping the swollen tick of a baby.

Reality, part 4: Jamie comes back, gets into the car (probably fearing the possibility of my leaving the premises), and recites four movies -- vice THREE that I'd instructed them to procure. ON the sunny side, they were four very G-rated movies...Diego, Thomas, Pup named Scooby-Doo and "Meet the Robinsons" (Disney).

Reality, part 5: Jack comes flying out of the store -- Did I mention that I made him go wearing his retina-attacking orthodontia headgear having made a trip that morning to the orthodontist only to discover that he had drastically understated the amount of time per day he was to be so attired? -- sans any DVDs and breathlessly lisps (see headgear) I need some money! Give me some money please. How much? $2.16! Being at the absolute bloody end of my patience, I hand over 3 singles in a tight-lipped manner with virtual fireworks of f-bombs dancing through my cerebrum.

Reality, part 6: Jack comes careening out of the store (I've now lost track of how many idiot j-crab exits and entrances have transpired), triumphantly. While I'm reinserting LLGA into her approved vehicle restraint, he stupidly asks to keep the change for the unauthorized movie rental (NO! duh!!!) and I ask for my Blockbuster Video (TM) card back, too. "Um...I think I left it inside." Since we'd already invested seemingly hours into this "quick errand", I seethingly hissed, "GO GET MY CARD...RIGHT....NOW."

Reality, part 7: The scatterbrained idiot, I mean beloved son of mine, re-entered the establishment in question. Minutes passed...By this point, poor sweet Jamie was absorbing the brunt of my verbal barbs. It dawns on me that gullible, rule-bound Jack has taken his place at the back of the Friday Night Video Store line rather than just approaching the counter and obtaining the left-behind item. I am quickly verging on apoplectic and scarily considering leaving his hare-brained fanny behind. Only it's dark, Jamie is an effective advocate for not leaving a man behind, and I did recognize that I am the lazy-lactating mother who started on this fantasy quest of my 12-y-o renting movies independently without -- apparently -- sufficient job-training.

Reality, part 8 -- and the very best part of the story: Jack emerges with not one, but TWO rental cards. And a hair-raising tale of how the clerk forgot to give Jack my card back, used it to rent the next customer's DVDs, realized her error and ran after this man who claimed that MY card was his "girlfriend's card". Jack, bless his flaky soul, proceeded to speak to the "Manager", who was transferring our correct rentals to a brand-new account, with the following testimonial:

My mom is married to my dad.
They love each other.
They would never cheat.
My mom doesn't have time to have a boyfriend since she's got a baby.
I am a legitimate child.


(And, I suspect that he left out this part: No matter how much my mom loves my dad, she will k-i-l-l me if I don't come out of here with a laminated video-renting card).

Reality, part 9: We are all stocked-up on goofy, gum-chewing, mess-making, time-wasting children but they may have observed at least a little of the Really Important Stuff.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Thank you for not leaving behind Jack. After my day today, I am laughing so hard I'm crying because I know EVERY bit is so true!

Nonyabyzness said...

like wow.

Patty SW said...

I do love that Jackaroo...hYstare-ical!