Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday, April 19: A Grievance

Followers of the Castle know that it is a challenge for the CQ to achieve the ideal Mass attendance. This morning, after ANOTHER overnight with multiple fussy awakenings by LLGA, I waved the white towel and got the crablets up, medicated, and loaded in under 30 minutes.

Generally, the crablets were on excellent behavior. Even better than Easter.

But then, after Communion, things went south as Father Steve introduced a newly-confirmed RCIA graduate.

NOoooooooo!

Now the unwritten rule of "Open Sunday Mike" is that the speaker keeps the details to a minimum, thanks the parish for its support, and sits down within, preferably, 60 seconds. 90 is okay, but the applause is less hearty.

Today's speaker didn't get that memo. Probably because "Open Mike Sunday" unwritten rule would only be known to those familiar with the parish. Sadly, new members don't have benefit of ambient learning.

At 90 seconds, Charlie, Lucy and I were pacing outside the church with dozens of my peers.

At the 4-minute mark, my peers and I dropped the facade of pro-social behavior and commenced overt eye-rolling, undertook whispered conversations, and I believe I am the party that hissed, "This is NOT the audience for a memoir". Much nodding. Mind you, those of us outside had already lingered longer than the majority of parents-with-children. (The Crabs, esp. Big Sled Dog, do enjoy a clogging-worthy closing hymn with off-beat clapping for the choir).

At the 6.5-minute mark, a cluster of us were ready to light torches and grasp pitchforks. I mean, please, we don't need to know that your sister is 11-years younger than you or that your parents were married in a rectory. Or the various religious affiliations within a family tree. Or that your mother didn't drive. Really, how is that factoid relevant to the 50-year-old standing in front of us as I hold 48 pounds on one hip and 24 pounds on the other?

Finally, Fr. Steve took back the stage and concluded Mass.

Closing: "Sing to the Mountains"?! A decent song, but not rousing enough to have endured "Amateur One-seventh Hour".

As I trudged to the Odyssey, it occurred to the Libertarian, capitalist CQ that people vote with their feet and their pocketbooks. If this "open mike" idea is so great, then Mnsgr. Steve could:
A. Invite the parish to convene 5 minutes before Mass (when the Crab Family was already installed in a pew) to hear a testimonial*; or
B. Invite the parish to remain after the recessional procession**; or
C. Come another night and have a true "open mike", where everyone can yap at whomever wishes to participate***.


When the dust cleared and the last van door had closed us back to our family unit, I announced my intention to educate Father to Rules. Jack was waving the rally towel at the idea that I'd take my IEP-persona to the Monsignor. Namely, that when you have a "Children's Mass", the yapping needs to be diverted to the other Masses. Stay tuned for how the Crab Queen navigates those treacherous waters. Just call me Advocate for the Child-Juggling, Mass-Attending, Too-shy-to-speak-up Folks. A regular Willamena O'Reilly -- looking out for the regular folks. After Communion needs to be a "No-spin zone". I'm bold, fresh, and CRABBY.

*Except that only a small percentage of folks arrive by this time.
**Except that only a small fraction of attendees are lurking.
***This idea has some intrigue. The capitalist in me wants the "open mike" speakers to have to put some "open wallet" in the jar first. A mike "cover charge", if you will.

No comments: