Rick showed up and I took off with the J-crabs and LLGA. First Jack to his game in Clairemont Mesa. Then a quick forced-march-shop in Target (with Jamie complaining that he'd be late to his game with every step). Then Jamie to his game in Pacific Beach -- WITH SIX MINUTES TO SPARE, thank you very much O Whining One.
Then home to discover that Rick had MOPPED. (Not Moped, but mopped as in tried to improve the cleanliness of the linoleum). I love this guy. Except for the part when Rick informed me that my mop was not up to snuff. Something I'd already suspected, but since I avoid the task, I can pretend I don't need a new mop.
Off to Jamie's game with LLGA, who was awake/alert/active/VOCAL the entire time. Jamie pitched the first inning, giving up only one run. He had a tough time covering 2nd and 3rd steals (when catchers' throws bounced in to him) and got on base 1 of 2 times I saw him bat. It was a crushing loss, as they'd come from behind only to lose in the last inning. Jamie received a game ball, to my surprise. (Such a critic, I know!)
Jack came home and reported that they'd beat the "best team". He played well. He was selling a story from his coach that he wasn't playing 2nd "because the scouting from this team says the second baseman isn't going to touch the ball -- they are "jacking" the ball into and past the outfield". Plus, "I HIT THE CUT-OFF, Mom!" Think he got a hit or two.
Home again, tried to nap but LLGA's cough interfered. And then Rick had to leave, Charlie's therapy ended, and five kids were underfoot for the afternoon. So we had a Get Ready for the Wild Animal Park 2-Hour Work Party. Laundry, dishes, bed-making, and lots of sandy yelling. Clothes were laid out, jackets and hats located, and the van tidied. Go, Crab Queen.
We all work for fast-food. So we piled into the van at 5 and battled crazy beach traffic to Carl's Junior. Another respite provider arrived at 6 p.m. so the gritty demeanor of the CQ mellowed a little for a couple of hours. But that break ended all too soon at 8 p.m.
I set up the Aerobed and got people settled down. At 9:30 p.m., APC called en route home from her work just as GMK arrived home from her day of the mall, Mass, dinner at Peggy & Brian's and Hot-Tub.
She came bearing an awesome pink Coach handbag for APC and an equally-awesome in a more functional and less expensive form: a Calaphon frying pan. Not sure whether she intends it to replace the one that sticks from 1993 or whether it will be launched airborne in my direction!

No comments:
Post a Comment