Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Re JECT ed !
Set of facts:
I am a paid member of a purely-social organization of surface navy officers' spouses.
In fact, have served on board 4 terms in various capacities.
On Tuesday evening, there is a fireside with the new 3-star Admiral.
Received an invitation to said event. Noted that there are about 20-odd fewer people set to attend than at our previous fireside. Having not attended an event this season, due to LLGA's birth, thought I could bundle her up and sit in the back and hear whatever new spin that Sand Crab used to (as his job for the Admiral's predecessor) put into PowerPoint.
Out of an abundance of courtesy, I contacted my successor (the event planner) and asked if the Admiral and his wife were "ok" with newborn tag-alongs. Sent this early last week.
The previous 2 couples in this position fawned over little ones and we have not had problems with people dragging non-lap-babies to events.
Arranged for 2 babysitters -- plus GMK -- to watch the other children. It's CCD night so GMK would be transporting to church and back.
BUT THEN into my e-mail in-box on Tuesday morning:
Dear Moira,
Congratulations on the birth of your baby! I hope motherhood is bringing you lots of joy and sleep when you can grab it!
Regretfully, I don't feel it would be the right venue to bring your newborn. If we open that door for you, we would need to extend the invitation for all moms. The --- Board hopes you understand. As we all know, child care is one of those challenges that all Navy families tangle with and we understand some folks can't make the events due to those issues.
Sincerely,
President
REACTION:
It should be noted that Patty Kiki, out of constant contact due to cross-country transit, regretted that I had been so courteous and instead gently pointed out that had I shown up, I would not have been turned away.
Admittedly, this is far from the party of the social season. I'm even willing to consider the veracity of the "right venue" comment.
However, the "slippery slope" worry has no basis in reality and is sheer hyperbole. Moreover, the statement that I'm facing just another common challenge for Navy spouses is Poppycock.
Of course, with Ben attached to your United States Army, we are out of the surface Navy mix.
Fortunately, a stack of Patties (and one Sand Crab) talked me down. Here's their anonymous witticisms:
* Patty channeled her inner-interpreter:
Dear Moira,
Much as we’d like to be a family friendly Navy, we are not. I so appreciate that you took the time to inquire as I know that several new moms will most likely attend with their newborn not having your foresight to “Check First”. However, since you took the time to ask, I’ll take the time to politely tell you no, no, no.
Marine Layer
* Patty contemplated the growth potential of this club:
I don't know what to say -- what a way to support the IA families.
I wonder if the ladies of --- have ever heard of the Shakers, the religious group whose archaic and unexplainable rules caused the extinction of sect?
* Patty wondered whether Lucy's non-member status was the impediment:
Ask if Lucy was a paying member could she attend... You’d allow her to be tallied in the “best attendance ever” census if they agreed and we could maybe even come up with a question for her to submit, in advance, cause I’m sure they aren’t going to open the door to uncensored questions.
* Patty offered simply empathy (and a nice long phone call):
I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
* Patty prophesied a Holiday card letter gone horribly awry (obviously forgetting that I have this fancy, immediate-catharsis blog):
I can sooooo see your christmas card..."I am sad to say that I have had to withdraw from --- for the forseeable future as their current policy prohibits babes in arms from attending events. I look forward to Ben’s return so that I may again be connected with the Navy Spouse community here in San Diego."
* Patty, demonstrating the psychological stick-to-itiveness that normally is seen only displayed by the Crab Queen toward ridiculous social transgressions:
Back in the day (19 digitty two) when Navy spouses were expected to attend every function -- pantyhose de rigueur -- babes in arms were an automatic inclusion.
So now, we've progressed to attendance optional & bare legs, but new mums can't bring their wee ones along? Good grief, infants are the greatest ice breakers at any hen party.
Perhaps the (no-kids) President does not know that one month old babies do not crawl or talk or walk nor eat any of the petit fours from the buffet?
If Sarah Palin came riding up on her snow mobile with a fresh moose carcass draped on the hood, and that baby boy of hers (Frick? Frack?) strapped on her back papoose style, would they turn her away?
Sand Crab (attributed because only Ben could write this):
Oh, Krikey. You should show up at the beloved event wearing a pair of Daisy Duke's and a tank top. Throw in a case of Meisterbrau and a lawn chair. Whip the feeding apparatus out occasionally. That'll take the wind out of the social climbers' sails . . .
And a final Patty "sister suffragette" e-mail:
I'm becoming overwrought.
This calls for Glen Campbell's Greatest Hits CD (sigh) to regain my sense of inner peace.
Wednesday morning's e-mail in-box brought another twist: With merely 40 people (the last one had 67 guests) signed up to attend, the evite reflected that this event would be held OUT-OF-DOORS. "Bring a jacket or sweater."
That's right...dark, cool, and more likely the neighbor's dogs barking would interrupt than the LLGA. Secret-access nursing garments plus the cloak of NIGHT would more than mask any Dairy Bar access.
Given Sand Crab's lawn-chair reference, it appears he had insider information or, gasp, that his new talisman is providing special insights to him.
Patty observation: In lieu of a jacket, warm nursing baby and gi-normous breasts are NOT acceptable.
Rapidly concluding (okay, not so rapidly...24-hours later) that I don't have much in common with this group anymore: A newborn, a modicum of common sense, and a husband in a sandbox wearing camouflage. Why would I want to be part of a group that excludes the very people they claim to support?
I am a paid member of a purely-social organization of surface navy officers' spouses.
In fact, have served on board 4 terms in various capacities.
On Tuesday evening, there is a fireside with the new 3-star Admiral.
Received an invitation to said event. Noted that there are about 20-odd fewer people set to attend than at our previous fireside. Having not attended an event this season, due to LLGA's birth, thought I could bundle her up and sit in the back and hear whatever new spin that Sand Crab used to (as his job for the Admiral's predecessor) put into PowerPoint.
Out of an abundance of courtesy, I contacted my successor (the event planner) and asked if the Admiral and his wife were "ok" with newborn tag-alongs. Sent this early last week.
The previous 2 couples in this position fawned over little ones and we have not had problems with people dragging non-lap-babies to events.
Arranged for 2 babysitters -- plus GMK -- to watch the other children. It's CCD night so GMK would be transporting to church and back.
BUT THEN into my e-mail in-box on Tuesday morning:
Dear Moira,
Congratulations on the birth of your baby! I hope motherhood is bringing you lots of joy and sleep when you can grab it!
Regretfully, I don't feel it would be the right venue to bring your newborn. If we open that door for you, we would need to extend the invitation for all moms. The --- Board hopes you understand. As we all know, child care is one of those challenges that all Navy families tangle with and we understand some folks can't make the events due to those issues.
Sincerely,
President
REACTION:
It should be noted that Patty Kiki, out of constant contact due to cross-country transit, regretted that I had been so courteous and instead gently pointed out that had I shown up, I would not have been turned away.
Admittedly, this is far from the party of the social season. I'm even willing to consider the veracity of the "right venue" comment.
However, the "slippery slope" worry has no basis in reality and is sheer hyperbole. Moreover, the statement that I'm facing just another common challenge for Navy spouses is Poppycock.
Of course, with Ben attached to your United States Army, we are out of the surface Navy mix.
Fortunately, a stack of Patties (and one Sand Crab) talked me down. Here's their anonymous witticisms:
* Patty channeled her inner-interpreter:
Dear Moira,
Much as we’d like to be a family friendly Navy, we are not. I so appreciate that you took the time to inquire as I know that several new moms will most likely attend with their newborn not having your foresight to “Check First”. However, since you took the time to ask, I’ll take the time to politely tell you no, no, no.
Marine Layer
* Patty contemplated the growth potential of this club:
I don't know what to say -- what a way to support the IA families.
I wonder if the ladies of --- have ever heard of the Shakers, the religious group whose archaic and unexplainable rules caused the extinction of sect?
* Patty wondered whether Lucy's non-member status was the impediment:
Ask if Lucy was a paying member could she attend... You’d allow her to be tallied in the “best attendance ever” census if they agreed and we could maybe even come up with a question for her to submit, in advance, cause I’m sure they aren’t going to open the door to uncensored questions.
* Patty offered simply empathy (and a nice long phone call):
I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
* Patty prophesied a Holiday card letter gone horribly awry (obviously forgetting that I have this fancy, immediate-catharsis blog):
I can sooooo see your christmas card..."I am sad to say that I have had to withdraw from --- for the forseeable future as their current policy prohibits babes in arms from attending events. I look forward to Ben’s return so that I may again be connected with the Navy Spouse community here in San Diego."
* Patty, demonstrating the psychological stick-to-itiveness that normally is seen only displayed by the Crab Queen toward ridiculous social transgressions:
Back in the day (19 digitty two) when Navy spouses were expected to attend every function -- pantyhose de rigueur -- babes in arms were an automatic inclusion.
So now, we've progressed to attendance optional & bare legs, but new mums can't bring their wee ones along? Good grief, infants are the greatest ice breakers at any hen party.
Perhaps the (no-kids) President does not know that one month old babies do not crawl or talk or walk nor eat any of the petit fours from the buffet?
If Sarah Palin came riding up on her snow mobile with a fresh moose carcass draped on the hood, and that baby boy of hers (Frick? Frack?) strapped on her back papoose style, would they turn her away?
Sand Crab (attributed because only Ben could write this):
Oh, Krikey. You should show up at the beloved event wearing a pair of Daisy Duke's and a tank top. Throw in a case of Meisterbrau and a lawn chair. Whip the feeding apparatus out occasionally. That'll take the wind out of the social climbers' sails . . .
And a final Patty "sister suffragette" e-mail:
I'm becoming overwrought.
This calls for Glen Campbell's Greatest Hits CD (sigh) to regain my sense of inner peace.
Wednesday morning's e-mail in-box brought another twist: With merely 40 people (the last one had 67 guests) signed up to attend, the evite reflected that this event would be held OUT-OF-DOORS. "Bring a jacket or sweater."
That's right...dark, cool, and more likely the neighbor's dogs barking would interrupt than the LLGA. Secret-access nursing garments plus the cloak of NIGHT would more than mask any Dairy Bar access.
Given Sand Crab's lawn-chair reference, it appears he had insider information or, gasp, that his new talisman is providing special insights to him.
Patty observation: In lieu of a jacket, warm nursing baby and gi-normous breasts are NOT acceptable.
Rapidly concluding (okay, not so rapidly...24-hours later) that I don't have much in common with this group anymore: A newborn, a modicum of common sense, and a husband in a sandbox wearing camouflage. Why would I want to be part of a group that excludes the very people they claim to support?

2 comments:
I don't know why you left out the best one of all -- you know the one that goes: "We're just like family!" We are your brother that told you he wasn't good enough for you and the aunt that told you that just because you can birth 'em doesn't mean we have to...
Hate and Spew, (at them of course)
PSW
This latest entry gives new meaning to "Don't ask, Don't tell!"
Do these people actually KNOW you? Way to abandon and isolate. Where do I sign up for this group?
Patty Triplets
Post a Comment