Sunday, February 1, 2009

Week in the can on its way to Museum of "Not Great" Weeks

In addition to the Great Diaper Changing Marathon (i.e., last 10 days), Thursday brought with it another cluster-croissant from Transportation at our beloved District. I received a phone call at approximately 3:39 p.m. from Dispatch stating that I needed to come outside to meet my student's bus. That would be a neat trick since he was a. not due home until after 5:45 p.m., b. currently located in Hillcrest (whole different part of San Diego), and c. supposed to have been delivered no later than 3 p.m. Then Dispatch had to call the rec program. Then they had to call me back to let me know that (as I'd already informed Dispatch) the rec program had left to go into the community and Tim had missed the van. So Tim's bus had to then bring him home.

This disruption in Tim's schedule was caused by his bus -- there to pick up him and him alone -- left without him. Then the aide called Dispatch and a different bus was sent out to get him. All without letting me, a mere 2 miles away, know. Talked to Dispatch who transferred me to the Bus Driver's Supervisor who transferred me to the Scheduler's voicemail. And then Tim was home, early and cranky.

=============================

Fast-forward to Saturday. I had not thought through the morning commitments in sufficient detail as I realized that the Little League e-mail did not include the sign-up forms so I'd need extra time ahead of Jamie's "skill assessment"*, which was slated for 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. GMK was with Jack at French horn lesson in Allied Garden (9 a.m.) and Vision Therapy near Poway (11 a.m.). Our respite provider wasn't available until 11 a.m. (or on his magical watch 11:04 a.m. Said watch magically switches to early because the 4 p.m. end time is then translated into 3:56 p.m. But I digress). Meanwhile Charlie's in-home tutor was here for 9-12 and Tim's in-home tutor was here for 9-11. Alas, none of these adults can be in the house/working with kids UNLESS I (or another adult, not each other) is in the home. Ugh. So at 10:35, I pack up EVERYONE, leaving the 2 tutors standing in the front yard chatting, and careen to the baseball fields. Complete the forms, pay my $240, and tell Jamie to let an adult know to call me if there's blood. "Good luck, son."
Several baseball team moms, whom I don't see except during LL, asked how I was doing, leading me to suspect I'd adopted the Face generally reserved for the Sand Crab's use.

GMK dropped Jack for his "skill assessments" at 1 and fetched Jamie. Part 2 of Crab Queen Mis-Planning was returning (early I thought) at 3:40 p.m. to retrieve Jack from the flier-noticed time of 1-4 p.m. Except everyone else but Jack had been picked up at 3 p.m. Went home with an extra kid in tow (Jack's pal whose dad is coaching) and confirmed that I wasn't losing my mind...the flier really said 1-4.

No comments: