Thursday, February 5, 2009

25 More Random Things.

The J-crabs were intrigued by excerpts of a prior list that they heard aloud. I told them there was a lot about me that they didn't know, from a time long ago and a galaxy far away. (Working "Star Wars" into a conversation always seems to enhance their attention spans). So here's another installment...it has been diversionary to think of a time when I wasn't up-to-my-eyeballs in diapers and laundry.

1. Two tiaras have graced my unkempt locks in my lifetime and, mercifully, neither required a swimsuit competition.

2. My parents rejected any and all requests by me to sport long hair -- strike that, even shoulder-length hair -- through high school. Hence, my first act of college rebellion was to grow out my bob. (Beer could wait!) I sometimes wonder if their edict contributed to my being such a relatively-speaking goody two-shoes (does anyone even use that phrase anymore?).

3. The same parents had similar hang-ups about footwear. For much of my illustrious 4-H career, I was the *only* female 4-Her in the cattle barn who did not sport cowboy boots. Rather it was decided that my athletic prowess warranted protecting my feet with -- say it with me -- steel-toe work boots. I mean there's just nothing as feminine as that for a 16-year-old. I did buy myself pink Justin Ropers (TM) to go with the tiara ensemble (see #1) but by then my image (and my dad's attention to same!) in the livestock barns was cemented.

4. A boy who witnessed me flung by a wayward, crazy-cake, insufficiently-tranquilized 1,150-pound steer into a trash receptacle -- a vision splendid to be sure -- considered me date-able a couple years later. But critical thinking was not a skill I'd honed back then else I might have approached that scenario with a bit more skepticism.

5. I was on top-secret RA probation (see #24) when I met my future husband. I recovered from that -- the probation, not meeting Ben -- to Rule Supreme as Coordinator of lucky-13 small residence halls in grad school.

6. One of my fondest memories of sorority life was planning a kickball tournament as Philanthropy Chair and jazzing up a Chapter meeting with original lyrics of my creation to a song from the Little Mermaid. Believe me, in a Chapter full of beautiful voices, my sisters were signing up left, right and center to ensure that I would not revisit the next week's meeting with another ditty! I love to sing but my most (ONLY) appreciative audience is plant life.

7. Most of the clothes in my closet are Eddie Bauer or Target Boutique -- both former employers of APC. But I have a weakness for Via Spiga shoes. Actually, I like to think of my Via Spiga fancy as a strength -- especially because one has to expend a lot of care when pairing a Target (TM) outfit with stunning VS shoes.

8. Even after 15 years spent as a card-carrying DoD dependent, with ample opportunity for patriotic pomp, I still well up during our National Anthem. In a related realization, if I had theme music, it would be this:
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/ED2BA414-F5E1-434B-9285-57CB373DA977/0/1RFFlagMarch.mp3
(Not that I'm admiralty--I just like the music. Imagine unloading the dryer and folding clothes to THAT. Guaranteed cinematic magic).

9. I have slowly begun the process of atonement to my bridesmaids for the atrocious gowns they were asked to don.

10. Let me affirm that, while the French horn may well be the second most difficult instrument to play, it is much easier on the ears when played by a novice than either the clarinet or the violin.

11. Despite my Irish heritage, I don't hold a grudge very well.

12. I have a recurrent nightmare that I skipped every lecture of Art History (in my dream, a mandated "distro") and couldn't find the location of the final exam and, thus, couldn't graduate from college. I wake up and it takes me several minutes to mentally calm down, realizing that I have 2 degrees and, most importantly, never even enrolled in an Art History course.

13. I find legos (TM), play-dough (TM), moon sand (TM), and magna-doodle (TM) to be stress-relieving activities.

14. Watching a baby stand on grass (or sand) for the first time is a pretty cool moment. One not to be missed, whether or not the baby is your own.

15. If I could change anything about myself, I'd be a more patient person. Make that a MUCH more patient person.

16. One of my all-time-favorite characters is the father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Something about his belief that window cleaner has mystical protective/healing properties really appeals to my inner worry-wart.

17. Dad put a basketball court (1/2 court) in the hayloft of our barn. The thought was that we (meaning: I) could play (meaning: practice) year-round. The reality was: if your footwork wasn't just so on lay-ups, you were in a world of hurt; shooting baskets in temperatures under 40-degrees required gloves (and encouraged games of P-I-G versus H-O-R-S-E); and running on hay/straw was a bit perilous. Despite all that, it was a pretty neat concept. Now that I'm a parent, I'm particularly appreciative that the idea was executed.

18. Peter Pan's ride is my favorite part of Disneyland. The Tiki Room is runner-up.

19. My grandmother Phyllis always let the uninsured, unlicensed youth "practice" driving at the cemetary on our way to and from visiting grandpa's grave. Now that I have a son (age 12) expressing interest in the idea of obtaining a driver's license (as well as an active fantasy life in which his parents provide him with wheels and insurance), I wonder where we'll practice as we have neither a huge pasture nor the habit of visiting cemetaries.

20. My first two paycheck-earning jobs were at Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers and at Jewel-Osco. I enjoyed working the drive-thru and didn't mind bagging groceries. I HATED walking beans because the mud caked on my shoes, bugs jumped on me, it was hot/humid, and it was so monotonous. That and I swear the weeds were already springing up in the rows I'd just completed! At the fast-food establishment and grocery store, I was in A/C, in a somewhat clean uniform, and around people...and getting a paycheck.

21. I am a terrible gardener but adept at Boggle (TM). May they offset one another.

22. I'm very proud of my husband. I suspect that, with training, I could do the job he does (driving ships and shooting projectiles and bossing people around...esp. that latter part) but I could never give up what he does in order to be positioned to do the job. That said, he admits he could never do the remainders that fall to me alone.

23. I never thought I'd rear children who would surf and skateboard and rock-climb and live in a cul-de-sac. I never imagined that my children would not know the sweet sting of sweat that encompasses a 4-H livestock project.

24. My 21st birthday story is, without question, Legendary. So Legendary that we celebrate the anniversary of my 21st rather than the ordinal birthday.

25. I find it very difficult to own just one book in a series/set. Better to have none than part. Yikes.

5 comments:

wife of crabby sand crab said...

I'm not the only one being introspective and sharing it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/fashion/05things.html

Patty SW said...

It is cheap to steal from your FB page and blog it...

Miss N U

Erin said...

hee hee hee---Your 25, 50, 75 is still way better than my 25.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

I still have photos of said kickball tournament somewhere.

wife of crabby sand crab said...

Here's a more positive spin on this phenomenon:

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/02/07/25_random/index.html