Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pulling a Larry King...because I cannot compete with the Sombrero Sagas.

...When Sand Crab called home this morning, I found myself revealing that LLGA prefers to be fed her rice gruel by a cap-wearing mommy. So, we're starting young to groom our next Cubs fan since the "C for Cubbies" offers infant-craving contrast of red and blue as well as the all-important factor of being within arm's reach. With my jammies on, it's quite a look.

...In an effort to win MOTY points, I was playing Q & A with Jack en route home Thursday evening (from his Honor Band practice). Topic: Middle school gender relationships. Apparently, Jack believes he is too young for a girlfriend. (Ed. note: he is!) Most of his friends aren't into "that stuff". (Ed. note: Whew!) That's really a problem in high school. (Ed. note: Chuckling at "problem").

However, thanks in part to my recent foray into Facebook, I recall that my generation had cheesy dances. Then again, we called it "junior high" not "middle school". That and a former classmate of Tim's attended a dance last week -- looking Awesome, if I might add. That and Tim is all about "on Valentine's you meet somebody new." So I broached the topic of Standley ASB dances.

Jack instantly regurgitates a host of budgetary statistics in an effort to explain it to me (who "must not be paying attention to the school budget crisis" according to his political-suaveness). Apparently, all funds are frozen and all dances are cancelled. Even the 8th grade dance. I asked, "Surely some parents are willing to fund it?" Jack shook his head, evidencing one of the finest in-the-dark communicating-with-the-driver gestural cues ever utilized. Leading me to repeat the query. "Before the budget got whacked, the dances were $13, Mom. Thirteen bucks. Like you would spend that much money for me to go to a dance."

So much for MOTY nominations from my second-eldest, whose orthodontia and private lessons and scouts and baseball are obviously gratis?

...Said son did report that he, the third Fr. horn in Honor Band, snagged the solo. Not the first or second chair -- he the THIRD chair.

How?
"I went for it. They both paused and looked at each other and I blew. I guess I did good enough 'cause now it's mine. Um, it's just one measure."

Not hampered by facts or social pressure to conform, Jack blows ahead.

...Speaking of things musical, Jamie tremendously enjoyed his class field trip to the San Diego Symphony last week. So much so that he's studying all musical tomes in the castle and announced in a loud voice that his first-choice instrument would be the contra-bassoon.

GMK, ever ready to articulate a random bit o' trivia, stated that the reeds for a contra-bassoon are $60 (or more).

Well, that perked the CQ's ears. "How about a second choice of instrument?"

Jamie was ready: "Cello. I don't have to worry about my asthma and doesn't APC have one I can borrow?"

Brilliant! Not the taking APC's cello part, but we're all about Violin-in-hands-of-novice-player Avoidance. Guess that puts us in the market for a cello instructor.

...LLGA turns 6-months of age on Tuesday. Just realizing that she's not yet had a portrait. (I know, I know...she's hardly under-photographed).

...Shout-out to my sons' Little League coaches, who are holding practice on Sunday. Jamie's was 10-noon and Jack's noon-2 -- at the Very Same Location. Convenience and maximum J-crab separation during a potentially Eternal Sunday without GMK.

...Also, kudos to our IHSS worker, who returned from her vacation in time for today's 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. (why, sure I could extend to 2:30 for your convenience) shift.

...For a brief moment today, the Laundry Room (and I use the term "room" in its most generous form) was bare. And then LLGA fixed that problem!

...I understand that the Crab Queen has been appointed "special ed committee chair" for the Board mentioned in prior posts.

...At one point during the last five days spent in close proximity to Charlie, he flew at me, dragging his magna-doodle (TM) board by its "writer" and bellowing "spebuck it! spebuck it!"

Several moments later, he tried again (apparently, slowing down for the not-very-swift mom): "Spuh Buck It!"

Ah! Spell "bucket". I looked at his board and he'd scrawled "B U" already.
So I provided the "C-K-E-T" verbally and he quickly wrote "C - K - T" and then went back (without my telling him) to place an "A" between the "K" and the "T" and then...cue the cherubim and seraphim...fixed the "A" to an "E" independently (and without my mentioning the error).

Go, Charlie-boy!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I became very nervous as to what Charlie was going to have you spell. Oh dear!