Thursday, February 26, 2009
Mention a prize of $100 for a "Character Matters" essay and Jamie cranks a rough draft out while I fetch GMK from the airport!
Jamie took considerable and frequent prosaic license, which will be corrected in subsequent drafts. Pretty cute perspective, however inclined to world domination he may seem. Any spelling and grammatical errors have been reproduced faithfully below; these will be corrected in the final draft, too.
2009 Essay Contest: Why Character Matters
Subject: My Dad
RESPONSIBILITY
My Dad is a responsibile person. He helps his country by being in the U.S. Navy. Right now he is stationed in Iraq at a base. My Dad puts all his effort to help the United States.
Many things happen in Iraq including high temperatures, weather, destruction, and terrorists. So that means He is a caring person to help his troops in Iraq. My Dad is a commander. That's a high rank!
My Dad is almost top dog of the Navy so he is responsible for over 30 troops. If he gets to the highest rank in the Navy he'll be in charge and responsible for the Navy!
My Dad miss' my family very much. He goes on deployment for an average of 5 months! So he has a lot of work before he gets to San Diego and sits down and plays Wii (R). When he's done with his one month or two month break he goes back to The Middle East.
He's a good man. He can be a nice person to everybody including his people. People count on he and his buddies to save the world and make peace in Iraq. I'm a lucky guy that my Dad is not near all of those bombs that hit the Middle East. I still don't worry about my Dad. I know that he's safe.
My Dad plays a good part in peoples lives and has good leadership abilities. He is a great man in the US Navey. He's spending a lot of years in the Navy, so he's an expert. I'm sure he enjoys his job. He doesn't spend his career just to be famous. He really represents the USA. It's a good job, and I bet he is going to be a very famous Navy person and he's going to be highly respected.
His future is going to be great! He will be a heroic, hard working, and responsible man. He will be head of the Navy by 2030. I will be very happy when my Dad is cool and is a master of Navy.
My Dad also works on a ship called The Antidam. It is named after the battle of the Antidam. He has a cool ship. It has a mini bar/restaurant. It has control rooms and lots of other idems. My favorite part of the ship is the restaurant for 2 reasons. One is so I don't get seasick. The other reason why I like it is because they serve the best food.
My dad has his own room. It is his responsibility to keep it clean. That's because you don't get maids to clean up your room every Wednesday.
My Dad is a great man. He a nice, caring, honest, confident, and responsible. He has a great personality and is important. What's most important about my Dad is that my Dad is a good example of "what you can do for your country." [From JFK's quote "Don't ask what the country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.")
2009 Essay Contest: Why Character Matters
Subject: My Dad
RESPONSIBILITY
My Dad is a responsibile person. He helps his country by being in the U.S. Navy. Right now he is stationed in Iraq at a base. My Dad puts all his effort to help the United States.
Many things happen in Iraq including high temperatures, weather, destruction, and terrorists. So that means He is a caring person to help his troops in Iraq. My Dad is a commander. That's a high rank!
My Dad is almost top dog of the Navy so he is responsible for over 30 troops. If he gets to the highest rank in the Navy he'll be in charge and responsible for the Navy!
My Dad miss' my family very much. He goes on deployment for an average of 5 months! So he has a lot of work before he gets to San Diego and sits down and plays Wii (R). When he's done with his one month or two month break he goes back to The Middle East.
He's a good man. He can be a nice person to everybody including his people. People count on he and his buddies to save the world and make peace in Iraq. I'm a lucky guy that my Dad is not near all of those bombs that hit the Middle East. I still don't worry about my Dad. I know that he's safe.
My Dad plays a good part in peoples lives and has good leadership abilities. He is a great man in the US Navey. He's spending a lot of years in the Navy, so he's an expert. I'm sure he enjoys his job. He doesn't spend his career just to be famous. He really represents the USA. It's a good job, and I bet he is going to be a very famous Navy person and he's going to be highly respected.
His future is going to be great! He will be a heroic, hard working, and responsible man. He will be head of the Navy by 2030. I will be very happy when my Dad is cool and is a master of Navy.
My Dad also works on a ship called The Antidam. It is named after the battle of the Antidam. He has a cool ship. It has a mini bar/restaurant. It has control rooms and lots of other idems. My favorite part of the ship is the restaurant for 2 reasons. One is so I don't get seasick. The other reason why I like it is because they serve the best food.
My dad has his own room. It is his responsibility to keep it clean. That's because you don't get maids to clean up your room every Wednesday.
My Dad is a great man. He a nice, caring, honest, confident, and responsible. He has a great personality and is important. What's most important about my Dad is that my Dad is a good example of "what you can do for your country." [From JFK's quote "Don't ask what the country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.")

3 comments:
LOVE IT!
How would he know of a maid every Wednesday?
Rock ON, James!
Dear Jamie,
I really enjoyed your well written essay about responsibility, and I am very flattered by your kind words. Responsibility is not about being a hero, but doing those right things that are important to the welfare of the people and communities that we care about. Not only do I love my country, but most of all, I love your Mom, your brothers, your sister, and you. Mom does the hard work at home taking care of the family so that I can serve in order to provide for our family's needs. Your Mom is just as much a hero as I am. When you have a family someday, I hope that your Mom and I have taught you with our examples.
I love each of my children with equal intensity, but for very different reasons. Each of you have a uniqueness--some special talent or quality that sets you apart--that I admire. You have a wonderful imagination and gift in writing. I have enjoyed all the "books" that you have written including the illustrations. If that gift and passion is something you enjoy, I encourage you to keep writing. Someday, millions of people may discover your talent just as I have, and they may enjoy it just as much as your Mom and I have.
You are a good son, a great big brother, and an intriguing character. I am very proud of you. Best of luck in winning the $100 prize!
Love, Dad
Post a Comment